Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
As if losing to bitter rivals in a shootout wasn’t enough to ruin Buffalo fans’ night, here’s a bit of injury to add to the insult of defeat: Brad Boyes left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury and was unable to return to the game. They could have used him as they ended up blowing their earlier 2-0 lead in regulation.
More important than the play in regulation, they could have used Boyes in the shootout. He is the Sabres best sniper in the skills competition. As luck would have it, the shootout went five rounds before Benoit Pouliot finished off the game with the only goal of the shootout. Wouldn’t you know it, the Sabres were unable to get a single puck past Tim Thomas as the Bruins won 4-3.
After the game, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff said that Boyes will be out “for a period of time.”
It was just last week that Boyes because only the 20th player in NHL history to play in 500 consecutive games. When he’s unable to play in the Sabres next game, it’ll be the first game he’s missed since becoming a regular in the NHL. Ironically, it’s a streak that started when he was with the Boston Bruins.
We’ll keep an eye for any additional news out of Buffalo.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)