Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
As if losing to bitter rivals in a shootout wasn’t enough to ruin Buffalo fans’ night, here’s a bit of injury to add to the insult of defeat: Brad Boyes left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury and was unable to return to the game. They could have used him as they ended up blowing their earlier 2-0 lead in regulation.
More important than the play in regulation, they could have used Boyes in the shootout. He is the Sabres best sniper in the skills competition. As luck would have it, the shootout went five rounds before Benoit Pouliot finished off the game with the only goal of the shootout. Wouldn’t you know it, the Sabres were unable to get a single puck past Tim Thomas as the Bruins won 4-3.
After the game, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff said that Boyes will be out “for a period of time.”
It was just last week that Boyes because only the 20th player in NHL history to play in 500 consecutive games. When he’s unable to play in the Sabres next game, it’ll be the first game he’s missed since becoming a regular in the NHL. Ironically, it’s a streak that started when he was with the Boston Bruins.
We’ll keep an eye for any additional news out of Buffalo.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)