Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
As if losing to bitter rivals in a shootout wasn’t enough to ruin Buffalo fans’ night, here’s a bit of injury to add to the insult of defeat: Brad Boyes left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury and was unable to return to the game. They could have used him as they ended up blowing their earlier 2-0 lead in regulation.
More important than the play in regulation, they could have used Boyes in the shootout. He is the Sabres best sniper in the skills competition. As luck would have it, the shootout went five rounds before Benoit Pouliot finished off the game with the only goal of the shootout. Wouldn’t you know it, the Sabres were unable to get a single puck past Tim Thomas as the Bruins won 4-3.
After the game, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff said that Boyes will be out “for a period of time.”
It was just last week that Boyes because only the 20th player in NHL history to play in 500 consecutive games. When he’s unable to play in the Sabres next game, it’ll be the first game he’s missed since becoming a regular in the NHL. Ironically, it’s a streak that started when he was with the Boston Bruins.
We’ll keep an eye for any additional news out of Buffalo.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)