Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 PM EDT
As if losing to bitter rivals in a shootout wasn’t enough to ruin Buffalo fans’ night, here’s a bit of injury to add to the insult of defeat: Brad Boyes left the game in the first period with a lower-body injury and was unable to return to the game. They could have used him as they ended up blowing their earlier 2-0 lead in regulation.
More important than the play in regulation, they could have used Boyes in the shootout. He is the Sabres best sniper in the skills competition. As luck would have it, the shootout went five rounds before Benoit Pouliot finished off the game with the only goal of the shootout. Wouldn’t you know it, the Sabres were unable to get a single puck past Tim Thomas as the Bruins won 4-3.
After the game, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff said that Boyes will be out “for a period of time.”
It was just last week that Boyes because only the 20th player in NHL history to play in 500 consecutive games. When he’s unable to play in the Sabres next game, it’ll be the first game he’s missed since becoming a regular in the NHL. Ironically, it’s a streak that started when he was with the Boston Bruins.
We’ll keep an eye for any additional news out of Buffalo.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 8
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)