Nov 23, 2011, 4:18 PM EDT
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider notes that the dream defensive pairing of Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson has failed.
The two had been paired in three straight games — 2-1 and 5-3 wins over Anaheim and a 4-1 loss to Detroit — before head coach Terry Murray pulled the plug prior to last night’s win over St. Louis. Doughty played with Rob Scuderi while Johnson played with Willie Mitchell, and it’s expected the Kings will keep those pairings tonight in Dallas.
That Doughty and Johnson failed to connect is a pretty big deal. Why? Well for one, they’re LA’s best defensemen. Two, they really like playing together. Three, their past wishes to be paired up were met with equal results (read: Murray agrees, watches it for a while, doesn’t like what he sees and splits them up.)
It’s something the head coach alluded to in his conversation with Hammond.
“It wasn’t working with Jack and Dewey. That’s the bottom line,” Murray said. “That’s why we go away from it again. I thought there was a point now, where, they’ve been together in the past and we could bring them back together again.
“It should work. They were very excited about playing together, when we talked to them. Right now, the maturity level is not where it needs to be in order to get the job done. So we’ll have to wait a little longer.
“Maybe we’ll eventually get to it again, but that’s the reason we go away from it.’’
That bit about maturity is interesting. I can just see Doughty and Johnson getting all geeked about scoring a billion points together, then forgetting to play defense entirely.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)