Nov 23, 2011, 4:18 PM EDT
Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider notes that the dream defensive pairing of Drew Doughty and Jack Johnson has failed.
The two had been paired in three straight games — 2-1 and 5-3 wins over Anaheim and a 4-1 loss to Detroit — before head coach Terry Murray pulled the plug prior to last night’s win over St. Louis. Doughty played with Rob Scuderi while Johnson played with Willie Mitchell, and it’s expected the Kings will keep those pairings tonight in Dallas.
That Doughty and Johnson failed to connect is a pretty big deal. Why? Well for one, they’re LA’s best defensemen. Two, they really like playing together. Three, their past wishes to be paired up were met with equal results (read: Murray agrees, watches it for a while, doesn’t like what he sees and splits them up.)
It’s something the head coach alluded to in his conversation with Hammond.
“It wasn’t working with Jack and Dewey. That’s the bottom line,” Murray said. “That’s why we go away from it again. I thought there was a point now, where, they’ve been together in the past and we could bring them back together again.
“It should work. They were very excited about playing together, when we talked to them. Right now, the maturity level is not where it needs to be in order to get the job done. So we’ll have to wait a little longer.
“Maybe we’ll eventually get to it again, but that’s the reason we go away from it.’’
That bit about maturity is interesting. I can just see Doughty and Johnson getting all geeked about scoring a billion points together, then forgetting to play defense entirely.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)