Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bruce McNally of the Washington Examiner tweeted the news a short wile ago. The story goes that Ward slept in on Tuesday and missed a team meeting — a crime that required stiff punishment. Apparently.
“I didn’t want to do it,” Boudreau told McNally. “He’s a good player. But the rules have got to be the rules for everybody.”
Ward will be held out of tonight’s game against Winnipeg. Predictably, the move is coming under fire from a number of folks — here’s Jon Press of Japers’ Rink:
That sentiment’s being shared by many, especially after Ward played one of his best games as a Capital in Monday’s 4-3 win over Phoenix. Ward finished with an assist, two blocked shots, three shots on goal, a hit and a plus-2 rating and was named the game’s third star. Best part: Ward did all this while dealing with the flu!
(Which, now that I think about it, might be why he overslept that morning.)
Let me repeat for the 239th time: Boudreau is clearly not screwing around this season. As such, we’ve created the Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart, which you can print out and update at home if you like.
Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart
– Made Marcus Johansson a healthy scratch. (Oct. 8)
– Dropped Mike Knuble to 4th line. (Oct. 31)
– Benched Alex Ovechkin. (Nov. 1)
– Bag-skated team. (Nov. 9)
– Made Alex Semin a healthy scratch. (Nov. 21)
– Made Joel Ward a healthy scratch. (Nov. 23)
If the chart is missing anything, please provide updates in the comments section.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 12
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)