Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bruce McNally of the Washington Examiner tweeted the news a short wile ago. The story goes that Ward slept in on Tuesday and missed a team meeting — a crime that required stiff punishment. Apparently.
“I didn’t want to do it,” Boudreau told McNally. “He’s a good player. But the rules have got to be the rules for everybody.”
Ward will be held out of tonight’s game against Winnipeg. Predictably, the move is coming under fire from a number of folks — here’s Jon Press of Japers’ Rink:
That sentiment’s being shared by many, especially after Ward played one of his best games as a Capital in Monday’s 4-3 win over Phoenix. Ward finished with an assist, two blocked shots, three shots on goal, a hit and a plus-2 rating and was named the game’s third star. Best part: Ward did all this while dealing with the flu!
(Which, now that I think about it, might be why he overslept that morning.)
Let me repeat for the 239th time: Boudreau is clearly not screwing around this season. As such, we’ve created the Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart, which you can print out and update at home if you like.
Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart
— Made Marcus Johansson a healthy scratch. (Oct. 8)
— Dropped Mike Knuble to 4th line. (Oct. 31)
— Benched Alex Ovechkin. (Nov. 1)
— Bag-skated team. (Nov. 9)
— Made Alex Semin a healthy scratch. (Nov. 21)
— Made Joel Ward a healthy scratch. (Nov. 23)
If the chart is missing anything, please provide updates in the comments section.
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 0
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 23
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13