Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bruce McNally of the Washington Examiner tweeted the news a short wile ago. The story goes that Ward slept in on Tuesday and missed a team meeting — a crime that required stiff punishment. Apparently.
“I didn’t want to do it,” Boudreau told McNally. “He’s a good player. But the rules have got to be the rules for everybody.”
Ward will be held out of tonight’s game against Winnipeg. Predictably, the move is coming under fire from a number of folks — here’s Jon Press of Japers’ Rink:
That sentiment’s being shared by many, especially after Ward played one of his best games as a Capital in Monday’s 4-3 win over Phoenix. Ward finished with an assist, two blocked shots, three shots on goal, a hit and a plus-2 rating and was named the game’s third star. Best part: Ward did all this while dealing with the flu!
(Which, now that I think about it, might be why he overslept that morning.)
Let me repeat for the 239th time: Boudreau is clearly not screwing around this season. As such, we’ve created the Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart, which you can print out and update at home if you like.
Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart
— Made Marcus Johansson a healthy scratch. (Oct. 8)
— Dropped Mike Knuble to 4th line. (Oct. 31)
— Benched Alex Ovechkin. (Nov. 1)
— Bag-skated team. (Nov. 9)
— Made Alex Semin a healthy scratch. (Nov. 21)
— Made Joel Ward a healthy scratch. (Nov. 23)
If the chart is missing anything, please provide updates in the comments section.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)