Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT
Bruce McNally of the Washington Examiner tweeted the news a short wile ago. The story goes that Ward slept in on Tuesday and missed a team meeting — a crime that required stiff punishment. Apparently.
“I didn’t want to do it,” Boudreau told McNally. “He’s a good player. But the rules have got to be the rules for everybody.”
Ward will be held out of tonight’s game against Winnipeg. Predictably, the move is coming under fire from a number of folks — here’s Jon Press of Japers’ Rink:
That sentiment’s being shared by many, especially after Ward played one of his best games as a Capital in Monday’s 4-3 win over Phoenix. Ward finished with an assist, two blocked shots, three shots on goal, a hit and a plus-2 rating and was named the game’s third star. Best part: Ward did all this while dealing with the flu!
(Which, now that I think about it, might be why he overslept that morning.)
Let me repeat for the 239th time: Boudreau is clearly not screwing around this season. As such, we’ve created the Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart, which you can print out and update at home if you like.
Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart
— Made Marcus Johansson a healthy scratch. (Oct. 8)
— Dropped Mike Knuble to 4th line. (Oct. 31)
— Benched Alex Ovechkin. (Nov. 1)
— Bag-skated team. (Nov. 9)
— Made Alex Semin a healthy scratch. (Nov. 21)
— Made Joel Ward a healthy scratch. (Nov. 23)
If the chart is missing anything, please provide updates in the comments section.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)