Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EST
Bruce McNally of the Washington Examiner tweeted the news a short wile ago. The story goes that Ward slept in on Tuesday and missed a team meeting — a crime that required stiff punishment. Apparently.
“I didn’t want to do it,” Boudreau told McNally. “He’s a good player. But the rules have got to be the rules for everybody.”
Ward will be held out of tonight’s game against Winnipeg. Predictably, the move is coming under fire from a number of folks — here’s Jon Press of Japers’ Rink:
That sentiment’s being shared by many, especially after Ward played one of his best games as a Capital in Monday’s 4-3 win over Phoenix. Ward finished with an assist, two blocked shots, three shots on goal, a hit and a plus-2 rating and was named the game’s third star. Best part: Ward did all this while dealing with the flu!
(Which, now that I think about it, might be why he overslept that morning.)
Let me repeat for the 239th time: Boudreau is clearly not screwing around this season. As such, we’ve created the Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart, which you can print out and update at home if you like.
Bruce Boudreau Discipline Chart
– Made Marcus Johansson a healthy scratch. (Oct. 8)
– Dropped Mike Knuble to 4th line. (Oct. 31)
– Benched Alex Ovechkin. (Nov. 1)
– Bag-skated team. (Nov. 9)
– Made Alex Semin a healthy scratch. (Nov. 21)
– Made Joel Ward a healthy scratch. (Nov. 23)
If the chart is missing anything, please provide updates in the comments section.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 1
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 23
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)