Nov 22, 2011, 6:04 PM EST
Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney met with Matt McConnell of PhoenixCoyotes.com today to discuss the signing of Kyle Turris. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million deal after holding out for the first 19 games of the regular season:
Maloney’s explanation is interesting given many assume Turris agreed to a deal to facilitate a trade out of Phoenix. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos tweeted that “Turris could be moved in 24 hours, three months or not at all. The decision now lies with the Coyotes. What remains clear is Turris still wants out.”
The timing of the deal only furthered this notion — if Turris didn’t sign by Dec. 1, he’d miss the entire year.
Maloney wouldn’t specify a potential return date, but did say Turris agreed to report to Phoenix’s AHL affiliate in Portland for practice purposes. And predictably, he’s sticking with the company line of “we’re not trading Kyle, we want him here.” (As opposed to “I knew that little *%&$ would crack eventually, now he’s mine.”)
Maloney’s doing this because his options are limited. Teams rumored to be interested in Turris aren’t exactly loaded with enticing returns: Calgary has Rene Bourque, Columbus has a handful of impending UFAs (though its’ No. 1 priority is goaltending…you’d think) and it’s tough to say what the Leafs can offer given their recent rash of injuries.
In light of this, the organization has to keep the door open for Turris’ potential return. He could help a Phoenix power play that’s scored once in its last 23 opportunities, after all.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)