Nov 22, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney met with Matt McConnell of PhoenixCoyotes.com today to discuss the signing of Kyle Turris. The 22-year-old agreed to a two-year, $2.8-million deal after holding out for the first 19 games of the regular season:
Maloney’s explanation is interesting given many assume Turris agreed to a deal to facilitate a trade out of Phoenix. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos tweeted that “Turris could be moved in 24 hours, three months or not at all. The decision now lies with the Coyotes. What remains clear is Turris still wants out.”
The timing of the deal only furthered this notion — if Turris didn’t sign by Dec. 1, he’d miss the entire year.
Maloney wouldn’t specify a potential return date, but did say Turris agreed to report to Phoenix’s AHL affiliate in Portland for practice purposes. And predictably, he’s sticking with the company line of “we’re not trading Kyle, we want him here.” (As opposed to “I knew that little *%&$ would crack eventually, now he’s mine.”)
Maloney’s doing this because his options are limited. Teams rumored to be interested in Turris aren’t exactly loaded with enticing returns: Calgary has Rene Bourque, Columbus has a handful of impending UFAs (though its’ No. 1 priority is goaltending…you’d think) and it’s tough to say what the Leafs can offer given their recent rash of injuries.
In light of this, the organization has to keep the door open for Turris’ potential return. He could help a Phoenix power play that’s scored once in its last 23 opportunities, after all.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)