Nov 22, 2011, 3:34 PM EST
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Curtis Sanford, Columbus Blue Jackets
Based on the Jackets’ past three games, it’s almost like goaltending is a really important part of hockey. Columbus is 2-0-1 with Sanford starting in net. The 32-year-old has a 1.46 goals-against average with a .943 save percentage, numbers that stand in stark contrast to Steve Mason’s 3.63 and .875, respectively.
Look, nobody’s about to say the Jackets would be a winning team if Sanford had been the starter from the beginning – Mason hasn’t been their only problem – but it sure makes you wonder where they’d be compared to now. Would making the playoffs still be a realistic goal? Because it’s not now. To match the record the Blackhawks snuck in with last season, Columbus would have to go 39-16-7 in its last 62 games.
In case you’re wondering why it took so long to get Sanford into action, it would’ve been sooner – unfortunately, he hurt his groin during a practice on Oct. 18 and had to sit out a month.
It’s been a long road back to the NHL for Sanford, who spent the past two seasons with Hamilton of the AHL. But now he’s back and bailing out his teammates with saves like these:
Curtis Sanford, everyone.
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 8
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 7
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 17
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)