Nov 22, 2011, 7:30 AM EDT
With Ken Hitchcock now in charge in St. Louis, the Blues aren’t quite the maddening team to be a fan of anymore. Instead, as the Los Angeles Kings will find out tonight (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus) they’re more of a maddening team to face off against.
The Blues were already a talented team but having Hitchcock and his new more defensively focused system in place, it’s made the Blues a much more formidable team to deal with. In the six game since he’s taken over, the Blues have give up just six goals leading them to a 4-0-2 record. Losing twice in the shootout is no big deal because you’re still getting points and for the Blues that’s important.
Meanwhile, Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott each have a shutout while the Blues are looking a lot more nasty to deal with. The goals aren’t exactly piling on but the defense is playing tighter and the goalies are playing better. That’s all the Blues were really in need of and it’s paying off right now.
Dealing with the L.A. Kings, however, won’t be easy. Anze Kopitar is their offensive champion while Jonathan Quick has been showing why he’s one of the up and coming goalies in the NHL. Adding in guys like Mike Richards and Drew Doughty helps add a lot of sexy highlights to the Kings lineup. They’re a well-rounded team with a lot of weapons and taking the Kings lightly means you’d likely take a vicious beating.
While there’s a lot of offense to go around with St. Louis having T.J. Oshie and David Backes and L.A. rolling out Kopitar, Doughty, Richards, and more expect both teams to clamp things down in a big way and try to show off their defensive skills. While that might not sound exciting, the kind of pace these teams push makes it makes tonight’s game worth watching more than you’d think.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)