Nov 22, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are swimming in a mountain of debt and while that might not sound like an appealing situation to bring about any interested buyers, there’s a guy out there looking to dive in head first.
The New York Post reports that billionaire investor Nelson Peltz is interested in buying the Devils out of their $250 million debt and getting involved directly with the team. Peltz’s plan involves setting up an equity investor to buy the team should the Devils fail to restructure their debt. The Post also reports that the NHL has given approval to Peltz’s plan to acquire the team’s debt.
Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is trying to arrange things behind the scenes to try and get a television deal worked to get $80 million to put towards the team debt and get things restructured. If he’s able to do that, Peltz might be out in the cold. Considering how poorly the money has gone with Vanderbeek to this point, the Devils are probably better off having Peltz come through with his plan.
The Devils need to get things figured out soon before it becomes a huge boondoggle in Newark to add to other financial messes around the league in Phoenix and Columbus. On the upside, Peltz is a huge hockey fan and his son was drafted by the Senators in 2009. Having a hockey fan buy a team worked out nicely in Buffalo.
(Hat tip to Kukla’s Korner on the story)
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 7
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 55
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (56)