Nov 22, 2011, 6:31 PM EST
From the “Hmm, interesting” file: New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal, who has not played this season due a post-concussion syndrome, traveled for the first time as the Blueshirts made their way to Florida this afternoon.
The Rangers will face the Panthers on Wednesday before flying back up to Washington for a date with the Caps on Friday.
Couple ways to look at this.
Option A: Teams often fly injured players on road trips as they’re good opportunities for team-building and whatnot. (By team-building we mean making rookies drop $13k on dinner, then getting bottle service at the Lotus Lounge.) It’s what the Flyers did a couple weeks ago in Naples, for example. The problem with this theory is the Rangers are only in Florida for one game and don’t have much down time between contests.
Option B: Injured players sometimes travel with the team to get back “in the groove” (for lack of a better term) prior to returning. It’s a way to get reacquainted with time zone changes, sleeping in different hotel beds and the joys of airport security. While this might be the case for Rupp and Wolski, it’s not for Staal. He only recently received medical clearance to begin light workouts and is a ways from returning to game action.
Option C: It’s pouring rain in New York right now and they simply wanted to catch some rays. I could totally see Wolski showing up at JFK in Bermuda shorts and sunglasses, with zinc oxide on his nose.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)