Nov 22, 2011, 2:07 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger is reporting that Kyle Turris and the Phoenix Coyotes are expected to announce a two-year deal later this week. But hold off on speculating how much ice time Turris will get under coach Dave Tippett, because a trade is still a “prime option.”
Until now, Turris and the Coyotes have been unable to agree on a contract. The restricted free agent has confirmed he wants to be traded; the organization has promised it won’t be doing that.
“Under no circumstances whatsoever — and I’m not sure what language I have to (use). We will not trade Kyle Turris this season,” said Coyotes GM Don Maloney. “We want him back and if he wants to play in the NHL, he’ll sign with us.”
If a contract isn’t signed by Dec. 1, Turris can’t play for the rest of the season. Obviously neither side wants that, so this news is hardly a shock given we’re nearing the end of November.
You have to wonder if Turris would agree to a below-market contract in order to increase his trade value for the Coyotes, who would in turn grant his trade request.
Dreger reports there’s been some “offer sheet interest,” but nothing ever materialized. No surprise there, considering a reasonable offer would be automatically matched by the Coyotes and a ridiculously high offer would be a pretty risky move for a team to make given what it would cost them in salary and draft-pick compensation.
Calgary has been mentioned as a possible Turris destination. The aging Flames could certainly use the talented 22-year-old, but what could Jay Feaster possibly offer Maloney in return? Matt Stajan, Rene Bourque and…a nondescript briefcase of gold bars?
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 45
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9