Nov 22, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is reporting that Kyle Turris and the Phoenix Coyotes are expected to announce a two-year deal later this week. But hold off on speculating how much ice time Turris will get under coach Dave Tippett, because a trade is still a “prime option.”
Until now, Turris and the Coyotes have been unable to agree on a contract. The restricted free agent has confirmed he wants to be traded; the organization has promised it won’t be doing that.
“Under no circumstances whatsoever — and I’m not sure what language I have to (use). We will not trade Kyle Turris this season,” said Coyotes GM Don Maloney. “We want him back and if he wants to play in the NHL, he’ll sign with us.”
If a contract isn’t signed by Dec. 1, Turris can’t play for the rest of the season. Obviously neither side wants that, so this news is hardly a shock given we’re nearing the end of November.
You have to wonder if Turris would agree to a below-market contract in order to increase his trade value for the Coyotes, who would in turn grant his trade request.
Dreger reports there’s been some “offer sheet interest,” but nothing ever materialized. No surprise there, considering a reasonable offer would be automatically matched by the Coyotes and a ridiculously high offer would be a pretty risky move for a team to make given what it would cost them in salary and draft-pick compensation.
Calgary has been mentioned as a possible Turris destination. The aging Flames could certainly use the talented 22-year-old, but what could Jay Feaster possibly offer Maloney in return? Matt Stajan, Rene Bourque and…a nondescript briefcase of gold bars?
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)