Nov 22, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is reporting that Kyle Turris and the Phoenix Coyotes are expected to announce a two-year deal later this week. But hold off on speculating how much ice time Turris will get under coach Dave Tippett, because a trade is still a “prime option.”
Until now, Turris and the Coyotes have been unable to agree on a contract. The restricted free agent has confirmed he wants to be traded; the organization has promised it won’t be doing that.
“Under no circumstances whatsoever — and I’m not sure what language I have to (use). We will not trade Kyle Turris this season,” said Coyotes GM Don Maloney. “We want him back and if he wants to play in the NHL, he’ll sign with us.”
If a contract isn’t signed by Dec. 1, Turris can’t play for the rest of the season. Obviously neither side wants that, so this news is hardly a shock given we’re nearing the end of November.
You have to wonder if Turris would agree to a below-market contract in order to increase his trade value for the Coyotes, who would in turn grant his trade request.
Dreger reports there’s been some “offer sheet interest,” but nothing ever materialized. No surprise there, considering a reasonable offer would be automatically matched by the Coyotes and a ridiculously high offer would be a pretty risky move for a team to make given what it would cost them in salary and draft-pick compensation.
Calgary has been mentioned as a possible Turris destination. The aging Flames could certainly use the talented 22-year-old, but what could Jay Feaster possibly offer Maloney in return? Matt Stajan, Rene Bourque and…a nondescript briefcase of gold bars?
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)