Nov 22, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is reporting that Kyle Turris and the Phoenix Coyotes are expected to announce a two-year deal later this week. But hold off on speculating how much ice time Turris will get under coach Dave Tippett, because a trade is still a “prime option.”
Until now, Turris and the Coyotes have been unable to agree on a contract. The restricted free agent has confirmed he wants to be traded; the organization has promised it won’t be doing that.
“Under no circumstances whatsoever — and I’m not sure what language I have to (use). We will not trade Kyle Turris this season,” said Coyotes GM Don Maloney. “We want him back and if he wants to play in the NHL, he’ll sign with us.”
If a contract isn’t signed by Dec. 1, Turris can’t play for the rest of the season. Obviously neither side wants that, so this news is hardly a shock given we’re nearing the end of November.
You have to wonder if Turris would agree to a below-market contract in order to increase his trade value for the Coyotes, who would in turn grant his trade request.
Dreger reports there’s been some “offer sheet interest,” but nothing ever materialized. No surprise there, considering a reasonable offer would be automatically matched by the Coyotes and a ridiculously high offer would be a pretty risky move for a team to make given what it would cost them in salary and draft-pick compensation.
Calgary has been mentioned as a possible Turris destination. The aging Flames could certainly use the talented 22-year-old, but what could Jay Feaster possibly offer Maloney in return? Matt Stajan, Rene Bourque and…a nondescript briefcase of gold bars?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)