Nov 22, 2011, 11:26 PM EST
One game doesn’t erase the possibility that the Edmonton Oilers might be vulnerable to violence, but they absolutely pummeled the Nashville Predators tonight 6-2.
It’s kind of tough to beat up someone who’s blowing you out – at least it was in this case. The Oilers surged to a 3-0 lead that booted Pekka Rinne (and his soon-to-be ridiculous contract) out of Nashville’s net through the first period. The only fight occurred between Sam Gagner and Matt Halischuk of all players. Perhaps the most telling stat is that Edmonton fired out the gate with a 13-3 shot advantage in the first period, which allowed them to build up a sufficient lead once Nashville responded. (The Predators had an 18-7 advantage in the second.)
After reeling off two nice wins (one against Washington, one against Toronto) to start their four-game homestand, the Predators have dropped a game to two seemingly flawed teams in Columbus and Edmonton. It’s certainly not time to panic in Nashville, but this duo of losses cannot sit well with Barry Trotz.
Tom Renney should be a very happy coach tonight, though.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)