Nov 22, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT
One game doesn’t erase the possibility that the Edmonton Oilers might be vulnerable to violence, but they absolutely pummeled the Nashville Predators tonight 6-2.
It’s kind of tough to beat up someone who’s blowing you out – at least it was in this case. The Oilers surged to a 3-0 lead that booted Pekka Rinne (and his soon-to-be ridiculous contract) out of Nashville’s net through the first period. The only fight occurred between Sam Gagner and Matt Halischuk of all players. Perhaps the most telling stat is that Edmonton fired out the gate with a 13-3 shot advantage in the first period, which allowed them to build up a sufficient lead once Nashville responded. (The Predators had an 18-7 advantage in the second.)
After reeling off two nice wins (one against Washington, one against Toronto) to start their four-game homestand, the Predators have dropped a game to two seemingly flawed teams in Columbus and Edmonton. It’s certainly not time to panic in Nashville, but this duo of losses cannot sit well with Barry Trotz.
Tom Renney should be a very happy coach tonight, though.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)