Nov 22, 2011, 11:26 PM EDT
One game doesn’t erase the possibility that the Edmonton Oilers might be vulnerable to violence, but they absolutely pummeled the Nashville Predators tonight 6-2.
It’s kind of tough to beat up someone who’s blowing you out – at least it was in this case. The Oilers surged to a 3-0 lead that booted Pekka Rinne (and his soon-to-be ridiculous contract) out of Nashville’s net through the first period. The only fight occurred between Sam Gagner and Matt Halischuk of all players. Perhaps the most telling stat is that Edmonton fired out the gate with a 13-3 shot advantage in the first period, which allowed them to build up a sufficient lead once Nashville responded. (The Predators had an 18-7 advantage in the second.)
After reeling off two nice wins (one against Washington, one against Toronto) to start their four-game homestand, the Predators have dropped a game to two seemingly flawed teams in Columbus and Edmonton. It’s certainly not time to panic in Nashville, but this duo of losses cannot sit well with Barry Trotz.
Tom Renney should be a very happy coach tonight, though.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 2
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 2
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)