Nov 22, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
Earlier today we passed along a report that Wayne Gretzky wouldn’t be participating in the Winter Classic alumni game between the Rangers and Flyers in Philadelphia.
We’re not sure if The Great One’s lack of enthusiasm for the event has anything to do with the fact he’s a rather large unsecured creditor of the Phoenix Coyotes, the franchise the league bought in 2009 after former owner Jerry Moyes put it into bankruptcy.
Regardless, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos thinks the NHL needs to make nice with Gretzky:
The league needs to do the right thing by picking up the phone and starting up a dialogue that makes everyone believe this relationship can once again be as strong as ever. Just like a new CBA deal, there’s a deal to be made with compromises that satisfy both sides.
The column’s timing was curious given what Kypreos’ colleague, John Shannon, was tweeting this afternoon:
Kypreos: The NHL needs to work things out with Gretzky!
Shannon: The NHL is trying to work things out with Gretzky.
The NHL knows it doesn’t look good when the greatest player in the game’s history is owed millions relating to a bankrupt franchise.
On the other hand, shouldn’t Gretzky be held personally responsible for his financial decisions? Most unsecured creditors lose everything in bankruptcy cases.
Of course, Gretzky isn’t just some unsecured creditor. He’s Wayne Gretzky. And if you’re the NHL, Wayne Gretzky has to be considered too big to fail.
Thus, the talks to figure this whole mess out.
The NHL will likely push for Moyes to cover most of what’s owing to Gretzky. After that, the other 29 owners would be smart to pass the hat and bring the dispute to a resolution.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 14
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 47
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 84
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games