Nov 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
If you were Bruce Boudreau, you’d want to make damn sure management had your back before making some of the moves he’s made this season.
Fortunately for the Capitals’ coach, it appears he’s got the support of general manager George McPhee.
The Washington Post spoke with McPhee yesterday about his team’s tumultuous start that has the vultures circling the man behind the bench.
“Bruce did the right thing with [Alex Ovechkin] in the Anaheim game,” McPhee said. “He did the right thing when he didn’t start [Tomas] Vokoun in the opener. He did the right thing tonight sitting [Alex] Semin.”
It’s hard to imagine McPhee wasn’t fully on board with Boudreau’s commitment to accountability prior to the 2011-12 season. These two have been working together for a while now. They’ve had their share of long conversations about which direction to take the Caps.
Let’s face it – if McPhee were to fire his coach, it would be just as big an indictment of his own instincts as Boudreau’s. And if you think the Caps are going in the wrong direction, therein might lie the problem. How can McPhee pull the trigger on a coaching change if all his coach is doing is instituting the plan they came up with together?
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)