Nov 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
If you were Bruce Boudreau, you’d want to make damn sure management had your back before making some of the moves he’s made this season.
Fortunately for the Capitals’ coach, it appears he’s got the support of general manager George McPhee.
The Washington Post spoke with McPhee yesterday about his team’s tumultuous start that has the vultures circling the man behind the bench.
“Bruce did the right thing with [Alex Ovechkin] in the Anaheim game,” McPhee said. “He did the right thing when he didn’t start [Tomas] Vokoun in the opener. He did the right thing tonight sitting [Alex] Semin.”
It’s hard to imagine McPhee wasn’t fully on board with Boudreau’s commitment to accountability prior to the 2011-12 season. These two have been working together for a while now. They’ve had their share of long conversations about which direction to take the Caps.
Let’s face it – if McPhee were to fire his coach, it would be just as big an indictment of his own instincts as Boudreau’s. And if you think the Caps are going in the wrong direction, therein might lie the problem. How can McPhee pull the trigger on a coaching change if all his coach is doing is instituting the plan they came up with together?
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)