Nov 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
If you were Bruce Boudreau, you’d want to make damn sure management had your back before making some of the moves he’s made this season.
Fortunately for the Capitals’ coach, it appears he’s got the support of general manager George McPhee.
The Washington Post spoke with McPhee yesterday about his team’s tumultuous start that has the vultures circling the man behind the bench.
“Bruce did the right thing with [Alex Ovechkin] in the Anaheim game,” McPhee said. “He did the right thing when he didn’t start [Tomas] Vokoun in the opener. He did the right thing tonight sitting [Alex] Semin.”
It’s hard to imagine McPhee wasn’t fully on board with Boudreau’s commitment to accountability prior to the 2011-12 season. These two have been working together for a while now. They’ve had their share of long conversations about which direction to take the Caps.
Let’s face it – if McPhee were to fire his coach, it would be just as big an indictment of his own instincts as Boudreau’s. And if you think the Caps are going in the wrong direction, therein might lie the problem. How can McPhee pull the trigger on a coaching change if all his coach is doing is instituting the plan they came up with together?
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)