Nov 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
If you were Bruce Boudreau, you’d want to make damn sure management had your back before making some of the moves he’s made this season.
Fortunately for the Capitals’ coach, it appears he’s got the support of general manager George McPhee.
The Washington Post spoke with McPhee yesterday about his team’s tumultuous start that has the vultures circling the man behind the bench.
“Bruce did the right thing with [Alex Ovechkin] in the Anaheim game,” McPhee said. “He did the right thing when he didn’t start [Tomas] Vokoun in the opener. He did the right thing tonight sitting [Alex] Semin.”
It’s hard to imagine McPhee wasn’t fully on board with Boudreau’s commitment to accountability prior to the 2011-12 season. These two have been working together for a while now. They’ve had their share of long conversations about which direction to take the Caps.
Let’s face it – if McPhee were to fire his coach, it would be just as big an indictment of his own instincts as Boudreau’s. And if you think the Caps are going in the wrong direction, therein might lie the problem. How can McPhee pull the trigger on a coaching change if all his coach is doing is instituting the plan they came up with together?
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)