Nov 22, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
For a little while there, it looked like Dwayne Roloson was straightening things out.
He reeled off a three-game winning streak a couple weeks ago, but aside from a 4-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins last Thursday, things have been looking ugly again. The Toronto Maple Leafs handed another Southeast Division team a 7-1 loss, and much like the Washington Capitals, such an embarrassing defeat makes you wonder if there are some rumblings for change in Tampa Bay.
For many, that might start with Roloson. There would be some symmetry to that idea since Lightning GM Steve Yzerman brought Rollie the Goalie in during a similar moment last season; the Bolts needed a boost in net and Stevie Y didn’t hesitate.
This time around, it might be about bolstering that defense, though. Victor Hedman hasn’t progressed as well as they hoped, Mattias Ohlund is injured and the rest of the D corps is flawed at best. The problem is that there aren’t a ton of great defensemen floating around the trading block right now, so the change might have to come from within. (Or maybe Yzerman should bring in another new goalie.)
What would you do if you were in Yzerman’s shoes, though?
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 64
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50