Nov 22, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
For a little while there, it looked like Dwayne Roloson was straightening things out.
He reeled off a three-game winning streak a couple weeks ago, but aside from a 4-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins last Thursday, things have been looking ugly again. The Toronto Maple Leafs handed another Southeast Division team a 7-1 loss, and much like the Washington Capitals, such an embarrassing defeat makes you wonder if there are some rumblings for change in Tampa Bay.
For many, that might start with Roloson. There would be some symmetry to that idea since Lightning GM Steve Yzerman brought Rollie the Goalie in during a similar moment last season; the Bolts needed a boost in net and Stevie Y didn’t hesitate.
This time around, it might be about bolstering that defense, though. Victor Hedman hasn’t progressed as well as they hoped, Mattias Ohlund is injured and the rest of the D corps is flawed at best. The problem is that there aren’t a ton of great defensemen floating around the trading block right now, so the change might have to come from within. (Or maybe Yzerman should bring in another new goalie.)
What would you do if you were in Yzerman’s shoes, though?
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40