Nov 22, 2011, 11:00 PM EDT
For a little while there, it looked like Dwayne Roloson was straightening things out.
He reeled off a three-game winning streak a couple weeks ago, but aside from a 4-1 win against the Pittsburgh Penguins last Thursday, things have been looking ugly again. The Toronto Maple Leafs handed another Southeast Division team a 7-1 loss, and much like the Washington Capitals, such an embarrassing defeat makes you wonder if there are some rumblings for change in Tampa Bay.
For many, that might start with Roloson. There would be some symmetry to that idea since Lightning GM Steve Yzerman brought Rollie the Goalie in during a similar moment last season; the Bolts needed a boost in net and Stevie Y didn’t hesitate.
This time around, it might be about bolstering that defense, though. Victor Hedman hasn’t progressed as well as they hoped, Mattias Ohlund is injured and the rest of the D corps is flawed at best. The problem is that there aren’t a ton of great defensemen floating around the trading block right now, so the change might have to come from within. (Or maybe Yzerman should bring in another new goalie.)
What would you do if you were in Yzerman’s shoes, though?
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2