Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames lost 4-1 to the Blue Jackets last night in Columbus. There’s a chance you didn’t notice, what with all the attention on Anders Nilsson’s first start for the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Brent Sutter noticed though. The Calgary coach had an interesting take on the Flames falling to the worst team in the NHL.
“It’s like a bad disease that you have to try to fight off and get through and get a cure and get going,” Sutter told reporters. “The individual has to take responsibility and say, ‘This isn’t good enough. It’s not acceptable.’ Yet, the only measure you have is through play.”
Poor Columbus. Win a game and the other team’s coach plays the “we’ve got a disease” card.
Sadly, it appears the Flames are losing their battle with Stajanitis or Stempniak Syndrome or whatever malady they’ve got. They’re 8-10-1 – six points out of a playoff spot – with road games in Detroit, St. Louis and Minnesota up next.
Calgary’s biggest concern is goal-scoring. Alex Tanguay leads the team with 14 points in 19 games, which is about all you need to know. Across the NHL, there are 68 players with more than 14 points. Only three teams – Minnesota, Anaheim and the NY Islanders – have fewer goals per game than the Flames (2.21).
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)