Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames lost 4-1 to the Blue Jackets last night in Columbus. There’s a chance you didn’t notice, what with all the attention on Anders Nilsson’s first start for the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Brent Sutter noticed though. The Calgary coach had an interesting take on the Flames falling to the worst team in the NHL.
“It’s like a bad disease that you have to try to fight off and get through and get a cure and get going,” Sutter told reporters. “The individual has to take responsibility and say, ‘This isn’t good enough. It’s not acceptable.’ Yet, the only measure you have is through play.”
Poor Columbus. Win a game and the other team’s coach plays the “we’ve got a disease” card.
Sadly, it appears the Flames are losing their battle with Stajanitis or Stempniak Syndrome or whatever malady they’ve got. They’re 8-10-1 – six points out of a playoff spot – with road games in Detroit, St. Louis and Minnesota up next.
Calgary’s biggest concern is goal-scoring. Alex Tanguay leads the team with 14 points in 19 games, which is about all you need to know. Across the NHL, there are 68 players with more than 14 points. Only three teams – Minnesota, Anaheim and the NY Islanders – have fewer goals per game than the Flames (2.21).
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 58
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 5
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 29
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 15
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 73
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination