Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames lost 4-1 to the Blue Jackets last night in Columbus. There’s a chance you didn’t notice, what with all the attention on Anders Nilsson’s first start for the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Brent Sutter noticed though. The Calgary coach had an interesting take on the Flames falling to the worst team in the NHL.
“It’s like a bad disease that you have to try to fight off and get through and get a cure and get going,” Sutter told reporters. “The individual has to take responsibility and say, ‘This isn’t good enough. It’s not acceptable.’ Yet, the only measure you have is through play.”
Poor Columbus. Win a game and the other team’s coach plays the “we’ve got a disease” card.
Sadly, it appears the Flames are losing their battle with Stajanitis or Stempniak Syndrome or whatever malady they’ve got. They’re 8-10-1 – six points out of a playoff spot – with road games in Detroit, St. Louis and Minnesota up next.
Calgary’s biggest concern is goal-scoring. Alex Tanguay leads the team with 14 points in 19 games, which is about all you need to know. Across the NHL, there are 68 players with more than 14 points. Only three teams – Minnesota, Anaheim and the NY Islanders – have fewer goals per game than the Flames (2.21).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)