Nov 22, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames lost 4-1 to the Blue Jackets last night in Columbus. There’s a chance you didn’t notice, what with all the attention on Anders Nilsson’s first start for the Islanders in Pittsburgh.
Brent Sutter noticed though. The Calgary coach had an interesting take on the Flames falling to the worst team in the NHL.
“It’s like a bad disease that you have to try to fight off and get through and get a cure and get going,” Sutter told reporters. “The individual has to take responsibility and say, ‘This isn’t good enough. It’s not acceptable.’ Yet, the only measure you have is through play.”
Poor Columbus. Win a game and the other team’s coach plays the “we’ve got a disease” card.
Sadly, it appears the Flames are losing their battle with Stajanitis or Stempniak Syndrome or whatever malady they’ve got. They’re 8-10-1 – six points out of a playoff spot – with road games in Detroit, St. Louis and Minnesota up next.
Calgary’s biggest concern is goal-scoring. Alex Tanguay leads the team with 14 points in 19 games, which is about all you need to know. Across the NHL, there are 68 players with more than 14 points. Only three teams – Minnesota, Anaheim and the NY Islanders – have fewer goals per game than the Flames (2.21).
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)