Nov 22, 2011, 1:07 AM EST
Pete DeBoer may have returned to Florida to face the team that employed him last year. But the team he faced—this is a different group of guys. The Pete DeBoer led New Jersey Devils jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead against the Florida Panthers on Monday night. But instead of allowing the Devils to cruise to an easy victory in DeBoer’s homecoming, the Panthers roared back for a thrilling 4-3 win.
It’s not just the faces that are different in Florida. There’s a different attitude as well. There’s a different confidence level. There’s more character. There’s a different leadership level.
Should-be captain Stephen Weiss talked about slow start and the new mind-set in the locker room this year. “We decided it could go one of two ways either we get spanked or fight our way back into it,” Weiss told the Miami Herald. “We’re not going to quit. We weren’t happy with the way we played in the first but that doesn’t mean it was over. We pulled up our pants and changed things around.”
If you are to believe Weiss, the new outlook wasn’t just the result of playing the former coach either. “It’s got nothing to do with him at all,” Weiss stated when talking about DeBoer’s return. “…we had to push back, and we did. It’s a big win for us.” A quick look at the standings and it’s clear that the Southeast Division leading Panthers have been playing with newfound sense of confidence all season.
Weiss’ comments don’t tell the whole story though. Even though he said the DeBoer “stuff is out the window,” newcomer Kris Versteeg shared that there was a little more motivation for the new Panthers in the locker room. “The guys here last year really wanted to beat him bad so it was a great game by everyone,” the streaking Versteeg said. “We wanted to win for those guys.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)