Nov 22, 2011, 11:14 AM EST
All right so it’s not exactly like the Bruins’ nine-game win streak, but the Blue Jackets winning back-to-back games is rare enough as it is. After beating Calgary 4-1 last night, it marked the first time Columbus won back-to-back games since February 18-25, 2011 when they won three in a row.
For a team in desperate need of wins to save everyone’s job and to prevent a team-wide shakeup from going down, a couple wins does a world of good and it’s Jeff Carter and Curtis Sanford they’ve got to thank for it.
After going silent and dealing with injury, Carter has goals in two straight game including two against Calgary. After snapping out of his goal funk in the Jackets’ 4-3 overtime win against Nashville, it looks like maybe, just maybe, he’s feeling at home in Columbus. That makes for a drastic change considering it was just last week there were rumors that he wanted out of town.
The team’s other hero is journeyman goalie Curtis Sanford. Sanford was signed in the offseason to be the team’s third string goalie and AHL starter. Instead, he’s been the backup to Steve Mason and when given the chance to play has looked strong even in losses. While he’s not expected to be a savior, they just need average goaltending especially since Mason was giving them below-average efforts as it was.
It’s not ground breaking play from Columbus, but the bar is low and wins coming at anytime are good things. At the very least, with the Isles stinking things up they may not be the worst team in the league for long.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)