Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Hats off to fans of the Ottawa Senators who are working hard* to get their favorite players into the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 29 Scotiabank Place.
*Working hard = going online to vote, voting, realizing you have to register before you can actually vote, registering, voting
If the voting ended today, the first six players selected would look like this:
Sens defenseman Erik Karlsson leads all candidates with 147,468 votes. Daniel Alfredsson is first among forwards with 131,774, followed by Phil Kessel (128,390) and Jason Spezza (117,899). Zdeno Chara is second among defenseman (110,098) while teammate Tim Thomas (95,681) leads the goalie poll.
Voting isn’t over until Jan. 4, so there’s plenty of time for things to change.
Hopefully Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson hang on to their spots, if only for Sens fans to be able to say they made it official. All three players are deserving regardless – Alfie for everything he’s done for the franchise, Spezza for his impressive bounce-back season and Karlsson for being one of the top offensive blue-liners in the game.
Alfredsson’s the only one not having an all-star season. In 15 games, he has just five goals and three assists. But there’s no way they’d have an All-Star Game in Ottawa without inviting Alfie. Nor should they.
PS — Sidney Crosby has 74,528 votes, ninth most among forwards.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)