Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Hats off to fans of the Ottawa Senators who are working hard* to get their favorite players into the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 29 Scotiabank Place.
*Working hard = going online to vote, voting, realizing you have to register before you can actually vote, registering, voting
If the voting ended today, the first six players selected would look like this:
Sens defenseman Erik Karlsson leads all candidates with 147,468 votes. Daniel Alfredsson is first among forwards with 131,774, followed by Phil Kessel (128,390) and Jason Spezza (117,899). Zdeno Chara is second among defenseman (110,098) while teammate Tim Thomas (95,681) leads the goalie poll.
Voting isn’t over until Jan. 4, so there’s plenty of time for things to change.
Hopefully Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson hang on to their spots, if only for Sens fans to be able to say they made it official. All three players are deserving regardless – Alfie for everything he’s done for the franchise, Spezza for his impressive bounce-back season and Karlsson for being one of the top offensive blue-liners in the game.
Alfredsson’s the only one not having an all-star season. In 15 games, he has just five goals and three assists. But there’s no way they’d have an All-Star Game in Ottawa without inviting Alfie. Nor should they.
PS — Sidney Crosby has 74,528 votes, ninth most among forwards.
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 2
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 66
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)