Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
Hats off to fans of the Ottawa Senators who are working hard* to get their favorite players into the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 29 Scotiabank Place.
*Working hard = going online to vote, voting, realizing you have to register before you can actually vote, registering, voting
If the voting ended today, the first six players selected would look like this:
Sens defenseman Erik Karlsson leads all candidates with 147,468 votes. Daniel Alfredsson is first among forwards with 131,774, followed by Phil Kessel (128,390) and Jason Spezza (117,899). Zdeno Chara is second among defenseman (110,098) while teammate Tim Thomas (95,681) leads the goalie poll.
Voting isn’t over until Jan. 4, so there’s plenty of time for things to change.
Hopefully Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson hang on to their spots, if only for Sens fans to be able to say they made it official. All three players are deserving regardless – Alfie for everything he’s done for the franchise, Spezza for his impressive bounce-back season and Karlsson for being one of the top offensive blue-liners in the game.
Alfredsson’s the only one not having an all-star season. In 15 games, he has just five goals and three assists. But there’s no way they’d have an All-Star Game in Ottawa without inviting Alfie. Nor should they.
PS — Sidney Crosby has 74,528 votes, ninth most among forwards.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)