Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EST
Hats off to fans of the Ottawa Senators who are working hard* to get their favorite players into the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 29 Scotiabank Place.
*Working hard = going online to vote, voting, realizing you have to register before you can actually vote, registering, voting
If the voting ended today, the first six players selected would look like this:
Sens defenseman Erik Karlsson leads all candidates with 147,468 votes. Daniel Alfredsson is first among forwards with 131,774, followed by Phil Kessel (128,390) and Jason Spezza (117,899). Zdeno Chara is second among defenseman (110,098) while teammate Tim Thomas (95,681) leads the goalie poll.
Voting isn’t over until Jan. 4, so there’s plenty of time for things to change.
Hopefully Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson hang on to their spots, if only for Sens fans to be able to say they made it official. All three players are deserving regardless – Alfie for everything he’s done for the franchise, Spezza for his impressive bounce-back season and Karlsson for being one of the top offensive blue-liners in the game.
Alfredsson’s the only one not having an all-star season. In 15 games, he has just five goals and three assists. But there’s no way they’d have an All-Star Game in Ottawa without inviting Alfie. Nor should they.
PS — Sidney Crosby has 74,528 votes, ninth most among forwards.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 10
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4