Nov 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EST
Hats off to fans of the Ottawa Senators who are working hard* to get their favorite players into the 2012 NHL All-Star Game on Jan. 29 Scotiabank Place.
*Working hard = going online to vote, voting, realizing you have to register before you can actually vote, registering, voting
If the voting ended today, the first six players selected would look like this:
Sens defenseman Erik Karlsson leads all candidates with 147,468 votes. Daniel Alfredsson is first among forwards with 131,774, followed by Phil Kessel (128,390) and Jason Spezza (117,899). Zdeno Chara is second among defenseman (110,098) while teammate Tim Thomas (95,681) leads the goalie poll.
Voting isn’t over until Jan. 4, so there’s plenty of time for things to change.
Hopefully Alfredsson, Spezza and Karlsson hang on to their spots, if only for Sens fans to be able to say they made it official. All three players are deserving regardless – Alfie for everything he’s done for the franchise, Spezza for his impressive bounce-back season and Karlsson for being one of the top offensive blue-liners in the game.
Alfredsson’s the only one not having an all-star season. In 15 games, he has just five goals and three assists. But there’s no way they’d have an All-Star Game in Ottawa without inviting Alfie. Nor should they.
PS — Sidney Crosby has 74,528 votes, ninth most among forwards.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)