Nov 21, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s been over 10 months since Sidney Crosby has played in a NHL game thanks to his concussion, but he’s playing tonight against the Islanders. After such a long layoff it’s only natural to expect there to be some rustiness in Crosby’s play, but just how is he going to shine tonight with the eyes of the hockey world all dialed in on his return?
What we know about tonight is that coach Dan Bylsma will look to play Crosby for about 15 minutes worth of ice time. It’s enough to get him going well enough and not be more of a wallflower in his first game back. It also means that he’s not going to be thrown into the same play dominating role we’re accustomed to seeing out of Sid as well.
Crosby will be eased into things and have a pair of familiar linemates in Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis. What will be curious to see is just how much Bylsma plays Crosby on the power play. The Penguins’ power play has long had issues but this season they’ve done well clicking along at 18.4%, good for 11th in the league. It would make sense that if there’s a time for Sid to get in a groove the power play would be it.
Will Crosby score in his first game back though? Anything is possible, but he’s dominated in the past against the Islanders (62 points in 33 games) and the Isles are mired in a miserable start to their year with Rick DiPietro likely getting the call to start. If ever there was a set up so that Crosby could have the story book comeback game and shine, this is it.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)