Nov 21, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Paul Peck of WIVB Buffalo is reporting that Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers underwent surgery for a broken wrist this morning and will miss at least a month of action.
It’s the latest blow in what’s been a tough season for the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. He was called out for not responding to Milan Lucic running Ryan Miller, became a healthy scratch for the first time in his career, nearly got suspended for a headshot on Dainius Zubrus and is minus-4 through 19 games.
Myers suffered the injury in Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Phoenix, leaving the game late in the second period. It left the Sabres thin on the blueline (Mike Weber is also out with an upper-body injury) forcing them to play with just five healthy defensemen: Jordan Leopold, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera and Marc-Andre Gragnani.
As for replacement candidates? One is 22-year-old TJ Brennan, though he has yet to play a single NHL contest. Another option would be 10-year veteran Shaone Morrisonn, who is currently with Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7