Nov 21, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Paul Peck of WIVB Buffalo is reporting that Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers underwent surgery for a broken wrist this morning and will miss at least a month of action.
It’s the latest blow in what’s been a tough season for the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. He was called out for not responding to Milan Lucic running Ryan Miller, became a healthy scratch for the first time in his career, nearly got suspended for a headshot on Dainius Zubrus and is minus-4 through 19 games.
Myers suffered the injury in Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Phoenix, leaving the game late in the second period. It left the Sabres thin on the blueline (Mike Weber is also out with an upper-body injury) forcing them to play with just five healthy defensemen: Jordan Leopold, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera and Marc-Andre Gragnani.
As for replacement candidates? One is 22-year-old TJ Brennan, though he has yet to play a single NHL contest. Another option would be 10-year veteran Shaone Morrisonn, who is currently with Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)