Nov 21, 2011, 1:32 PM EST
Paul Peck of WIVB Buffalo is reporting that Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers underwent surgery for a broken wrist this morning and will miss at least a month of action.
It’s the latest blow in what’s been a tough season for the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. He was called out for not responding to Milan Lucic running Ryan Miller, became a healthy scratch for the first time in his career, nearly got suspended for a headshot on Dainius Zubrus and is minus-4 through 19 games.
Myers suffered the injury in Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Phoenix, leaving the game late in the second period. It left the Sabres thin on the blueline (Mike Weber is also out with an upper-body injury) forcing them to play with just five healthy defensemen: Jordan Leopold, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera and Marc-Andre Gragnani.
As for replacement candidates? One is 22-year-old TJ Brennan, though he has yet to play a single NHL contest. Another option would be 10-year veteran Shaone Morrisonn, who is currently with Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 15
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 40
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)