Nov 21, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
Paul Peck of WIVB Buffalo is reporting that Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers underwent surgery for a broken wrist this morning and will miss at least a month of action.
It’s the latest blow in what’s been a tough season for the 2010 Calder Trophy winner. He was called out for not responding to Milan Lucic running Ryan Miller, became a healthy scratch for the first time in his career, nearly got suspended for a headshot on Dainius Zubrus and is minus-4 through 19 games.
Myers suffered the injury in Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Phoenix, leaving the game late in the second period. It left the Sabres thin on the blueline (Mike Weber is also out with an upper-body injury) forcing them to play with just five healthy defensemen: Jordan Leopold, Christian Ehrhoff, Robyn Regehr, Andrej Sekera and Marc-Andre Gragnani.
As for replacement candidates? One is 22-year-old TJ Brennan, though he has yet to play a single NHL contest. Another option would be 10-year veteran Shaone Morrisonn, who is currently with Buffalo’s AHL affiliate in Rochester.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 22
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 25
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 15
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 52
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)