Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
We’re all caught up in what’s going on with Sidney Crosby, but the Washington Capitals have a bit of drama set up for themselves tonight. The Caps come stumbling back home after being outscored 14-3 during their three-game road trip that saw each game get progressively worse. The Caps have dropped four straight on top of all that and the storm clouds are building around just about everyone in this franchise.
If ever there was a team that needed a win for their own sanity, it’s the Caps but is there reason to think they can just snap out of it at home? It’s tough to find positives here. Bruce Boudreau is trying to shake things up a bit by calling up rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov to see if his speed and youthful energy can make things a bit better defensively.
There’s also the chance we’ll see Alexander Semin taking in tonight’s game from the press box as a healthy scratch. If that happens at least the Capitals won’t need to worry about killing off one or two dumb penalties as Semin’s been a magnet for those this season. There’s also the effect that move might have on Alex Ovechkin as well as Semin is a good friend and a fellow star on the team. Helping Ovechkin snap out of his funk would be a welcome change.
The Caps dealing with the defensive minded Coyotes who continue to grind out wins regardless of who’s in goal for them will be a struggle for the offensively struggling Caps. Scoring just one goal and hoping either Tomas Vokoun or Michal Neuvirth can hold things down isn’t proving to be a winning strategy of late.
If things go ugly again tonight for the Caps, and in front of the home fans no less, change could be on the way.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 1
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 1
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 6
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)