Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
We’re all caught up in what’s going on with Sidney Crosby, but the Washington Capitals have a bit of drama set up for themselves tonight. The Caps come stumbling back home after being outscored 14-3 during their three-game road trip that saw each game get progressively worse. The Caps have dropped four straight on top of all that and the storm clouds are building around just about everyone in this franchise.
If ever there was a team that needed a win for their own sanity, it’s the Caps but is there reason to think they can just snap out of it at home? It’s tough to find positives here. Bruce Boudreau is trying to shake things up a bit by calling up rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov to see if his speed and youthful energy can make things a bit better defensively.
There’s also the chance we’ll see Alexander Semin taking in tonight’s game from the press box as a healthy scratch. If that happens at least the Capitals won’t need to worry about killing off one or two dumb penalties as Semin’s been a magnet for those this season. There’s also the effect that move might have on Alex Ovechkin as well as Semin is a good friend and a fellow star on the team. Helping Ovechkin snap out of his funk would be a welcome change.
The Caps dealing with the defensive minded Coyotes who continue to grind out wins regardless of who’s in goal for them will be a struggle for the offensively struggling Caps. Scoring just one goal and hoping either Tomas Vokoun or Michal Neuvirth can hold things down isn’t proving to be a winning strategy of late.
If things go ugly again tonight for the Caps, and in front of the home fans no less, change could be on the way.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)