Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
We’re all caught up in what’s going on with Sidney Crosby, but the Washington Capitals have a bit of drama set up for themselves tonight. The Caps come stumbling back home after being outscored 14-3 during their three-game road trip that saw each game get progressively worse. The Caps have dropped four straight on top of all that and the storm clouds are building around just about everyone in this franchise.
If ever there was a team that needed a win for their own sanity, it’s the Caps but is there reason to think they can just snap out of it at home? It’s tough to find positives here. Bruce Boudreau is trying to shake things up a bit by calling up rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov to see if his speed and youthful energy can make things a bit better defensively.
There’s also the chance we’ll see Alexander Semin taking in tonight’s game from the press box as a healthy scratch. If that happens at least the Capitals won’t need to worry about killing off one or two dumb penalties as Semin’s been a magnet for those this season. There’s also the effect that move might have on Alex Ovechkin as well as Semin is a good friend and a fellow star on the team. Helping Ovechkin snap out of his funk would be a welcome change.
The Caps dealing with the defensive minded Coyotes who continue to grind out wins regardless of who’s in goal for them will be a struggle for the offensively struggling Caps. Scoring just one goal and hoping either Tomas Vokoun or Michal Neuvirth can hold things down isn’t proving to be a winning strategy of late.
If things go ugly again tonight for the Caps, and in front of the home fans no less, change could be on the way.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)