Nov 21, 2011, 8:56 AM EST
We’re all caught up in what’s going on with Sidney Crosby, but the Washington Capitals have a bit of drama set up for themselves tonight. The Caps come stumbling back home after being outscored 14-3 during their three-game road trip that saw each game get progressively worse. The Caps have dropped four straight on top of all that and the storm clouds are building around just about everyone in this franchise.
If ever there was a team that needed a win for their own sanity, it’s the Caps but is there reason to think they can just snap out of it at home? It’s tough to find positives here. Bruce Boudreau is trying to shake things up a bit by calling up rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov to see if his speed and youthful energy can make things a bit better defensively.
There’s also the chance we’ll see Alexander Semin taking in tonight’s game from the press box as a healthy scratch. If that happens at least the Capitals won’t need to worry about killing off one or two dumb penalties as Semin’s been a magnet for those this season. There’s also the effect that move might have on Alex Ovechkin as well as Semin is a good friend and a fellow star on the team. Helping Ovechkin snap out of his funk would be a welcome change.
The Caps dealing with the defensive minded Coyotes who continue to grind out wins regardless of who’s in goal for them will be a struggle for the offensively struggling Caps. Scoring just one goal and hoping either Tomas Vokoun or Michal Neuvirth can hold things down isn’t proving to be a winning strategy of late.
If things go ugly again tonight for the Caps, and in front of the home fans no less, change could be on the way.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 11
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 28
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11