Nov 21, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
The Big Question will be a weekly feature on PHT where we ask a question, provide some background and ask you, the reader, to weigh in with your opinions.
Today’s question: Are the Penguins the Stanley Cup favorites?
Not sure if you heard, but Sidney Crosby is playing a hockey game tonight. The best player in the world will be a nice addition for the Pittsburgh Penguins, as best players in the world typically are for teams.
The Pens haven’t suffered too badly without Crosby. They’re 11-6-3, tied for third in the league. James Neal , Jordan Staal, Kris Letang and Marc-Andre Fleury have been outstanding. Evgeni Malkin is a point-a-game player.
Top to bottom, it’s hard to find a real weakness.
Of course, Pittsburgh isn’t the only good team in the NHL. You could make a case for each of Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago as the current Cup favorite.
Personally I think it’s the Pens. The play of Neal and Letang are huge factors for me, just so far as things that differentiate this season’s Pittsburgh team from past seasons – Neal to take the scoring load off Crosby and Malkin, Letang because almost every single Cup winner has an elite defenseman.
Agree? Disagree? The comments section awaits.
Update: Pierre McGuire and Jeremy Roenick apparently agree.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)