Nov 21, 2011, 9:46 AM EST
When Peter DeBoer was fired from coaching the Florida Panthers, it turns out that was a huge relief for more than a few Panthers players. DeBoer ruled the roost in Florida using fear as his motivator and that got a few Panthers players worn out. Now that the Panthers have turned things around early this season with Kevin Dineen, DeBoer rolling into town with the New Jersey Devils gives them the chance to show the old coach how fun and happy things are with the new guy.
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel hears from Panthers how tough things were under the old boss DeBoer with Dmitry Kulikov having the most pointed words.
“You’ve got more freedom to do what you want on the ice. You feel if you make a mistake you can make up for it on the next shift. With Pete, it’s one mistake and you’re like shaking for the rest of the game.”
Forward Michael Repik didn’t have glowing words for DeBoer either saying that getting yelled at consistently for mistakes is no way to help a young team grow up.
So how does a team get back at a former coach that drove them nuts? Beating them obviously would do the trick, but getting that little bit extra? There’s the tricky part. It’s not as if they can body check the coach but you better believe it that the Panthers are going to treat this one like a playoff game to show the old coach that they’re just fine without him on their backs.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)