Nov 21, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
When Peter DeBoer was fired from coaching the Florida Panthers, it turns out that was a huge relief for more than a few Panthers players. DeBoer ruled the roost in Florida using fear as his motivator and that got a few Panthers players worn out. Now that the Panthers have turned things around early this season with Kevin Dineen, DeBoer rolling into town with the New Jersey Devils gives them the chance to show the old coach how fun and happy things are with the new guy.
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel hears from Panthers how tough things were under the old boss DeBoer with Dmitry Kulikov having the most pointed words.
“You’ve got more freedom to do what you want on the ice. You feel if you make a mistake you can make up for it on the next shift. With Pete, it’s one mistake and you’re like shaking for the rest of the game.”
Forward Michael Repik didn’t have glowing words for DeBoer either saying that getting yelled at consistently for mistakes is no way to help a young team grow up.
So how does a team get back at a former coach that drove them nuts? Beating them obviously would do the trick, but getting that little bit extra? There’s the tricky part. It’s not as if they can body check the coach but you better believe it that the Panthers are going to treat this one like a playoff game to show the old coach that they’re just fine without him on their backs.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 7
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 16
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 47
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 85
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control