Nov 21, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
When Peter DeBoer was fired from coaching the Florida Panthers, it turns out that was a huge relief for more than a few Panthers players. DeBoer ruled the roost in Florida using fear as his motivator and that got a few Panthers players worn out. Now that the Panthers have turned things around early this season with Kevin Dineen, DeBoer rolling into town with the New Jersey Devils gives them the chance to show the old coach how fun and happy things are with the new guy.
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel hears from Panthers how tough things were under the old boss DeBoer with Dmitry Kulikov having the most pointed words.
“You’ve got more freedom to do what you want on the ice. You feel if you make a mistake you can make up for it on the next shift. With Pete, it’s one mistake and you’re like shaking for the rest of the game.”
Forward Michael Repik didn’t have glowing words for DeBoer either saying that getting yelled at consistently for mistakes is no way to help a young team grow up.
So how does a team get back at a former coach that drove them nuts? Beating them obviously would do the trick, but getting that little bit extra? There’s the tricky part. It’s not as if they can body check the coach but you better believe it that the Panthers are going to treat this one like a playoff game to show the old coach that they’re just fine without him on their backs.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 0
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)