Nov 21, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
When Peter DeBoer was fired from coaching the Florida Panthers, it turns out that was a huge relief for more than a few Panthers players. DeBoer ruled the roost in Florida using fear as his motivator and that got a few Panthers players worn out. Now that the Panthers have turned things around early this season with Kevin Dineen, DeBoer rolling into town with the New Jersey Devils gives them the chance to show the old coach how fun and happy things are with the new guy.
Harvey Fialkov of the Sun-Sentinel hears from Panthers how tough things were under the old boss DeBoer with Dmitry Kulikov having the most pointed words.
“You’ve got more freedom to do what you want on the ice. You feel if you make a mistake you can make up for it on the next shift. With Pete, it’s one mistake and you’re like shaking for the rest of the game.”
Forward Michael Repik didn’t have glowing words for DeBoer either saying that getting yelled at consistently for mistakes is no way to help a young team grow up.
So how does a team get back at a former coach that drove them nuts? Beating them obviously would do the trick, but getting that little bit extra? There’s the tricky part. It’s not as if they can body check the coach but you better believe it that the Panthers are going to treat this one like a playoff game to show the old coach that they’re just fine without him on their backs.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 10
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)