Nov 21, 2011, 12:58 PM EDT
Mild kerfuffle (good word) out of Edmonton this morning prior to tonight’s Stars-Oilers game at American Airlines Center. Former Oilers defenseman Sheldon Souray, currently in the midst of a bounce-back season with the Stars, told the Dallas PR staff he wouldn’t speak to any media in advance of the game. He’d also refused all interview requests leading up to tonight’s affair.
As you can imagine, the media was extremely understanding:
But after receiving said heat from the media and speaking with the Stars organization, Souray had a change of heart:
Souray had plenty of reasons for not wanting to talk with reporters. He left Edmonton acrimoniously (he and his $5.4 annual cap hit stashed away in the AHL) and became increasingly frustrated with how the organization handled the situation. In a September interview with the Montreal Gazette, Souray recalled his time in Edmonton with a distinct lack of fondness:
“What a debacle,” Souray said. “Was it a nightmare with Edmonton? Yeah.
“I felt (a move) would happen when it happened. I started losing faith in the process. Things (the Oilers) were doing didn’t make sense. I resigned myself to being just a prisoner at that point, for lack of a better word.
“I had played in two organizations before Edmonton that were top shelf. First New Jersey, then Montreal. They were kind of the standard. Then you go somewhere that’s less than that and it’s: ‘Wow, this is interesting.'”
My guess is that, having already addressed his time in Edmonton, Souray probably wanted to avoid ripping open old wounds and focus on tonight’s game. But that’s kind of a pipe dream considering 1) Edmonton reporters were waiting for today given he’d balked on previous interview requests and 2) His story is pretty compelling. No way reporters were going to just ignore it.
UPDATE: Here’s Souray speaking with the media.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)