Nov 21, 2011, 12:54 PM EDT
It’s not going to be Rick DiPietro that gets the pleasure of dealing with a madhouse in Pittsburgh for Sidney Crosby‘s welcome back game. The Islanders default goalie is getting the night off after a miserable performance against Boston on Saturday and in his place will be rookie Anders Nilsson making his first career NHL start.
Nilsson was called up after both Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov were put on IR with separate injuries and all of Nilsson’s NHL experience came in Saturday night’s drubbing at the hands of the Bruins. Now he’ll have the pleasure of trying to play the spoiler role for Crosby and the Penguins.
Isles coach Jack Capuano making the curious decision to play Nilsson in front of what will be a playoff-like atmosphere for the Crosby welcome wagon could be serving as a way to get the rest of the team fired up and focused for the game. Making sure everyone is defensively responsible and active is part of what Capuano has to do but if the Isles turn in another craptastic effort against the Pens tonight, things could be changing on Long Island sooner than not.
Best of luck to Nilsson though, it’s a hell of a way to make a memorable first start, here’s to hoping he isn’t thoroughly devoured.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)