Nov 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
Tom Gaglardi told Dallas Stars fans what they wanted to hear today. The new owner was introduced to the media this afternoon and promised if the team needed to spend money, it would spend money.
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
Just don’t expect a wild spending spree, a la Terry Pegula. The Stars will be built the “old-fashioned way” – through drafting and developing players.
“I think there’s been enough cases around the NHL to know that you cannot buy a winner,” said Gaglardi. “So I believe in the old-fashioned way of building teams. We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships.”
The Stars’ early-season success seems a distant memory after dropping five straight by a combined score of 21-4 and falling out of a playoff position. Dallas is in Edmonton tonight hoping to stop the bleeding.
We’ve written a few times about the potential for the Stars to be buyers at the trade deadline if they’re still in postseason contention. They’ve had the cap room for a while. Now they’ve got an owner that can do something with it.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)