Nov 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Tom Gaglardi told Dallas Stars fans what they wanted to hear today. The new owner was introduced to the media this afternoon and promised if the team needed to spend money, it would spend money.
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
Just don’t expect a wild spending spree, a la Terry Pegula. The Stars will be built the “old-fashioned way” – through drafting and developing players.
“I think there’s been enough cases around the NHL to know that you cannot buy a winner,” said Gaglardi. “So I believe in the old-fashioned way of building teams. We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships.”
The Stars’ early-season success seems a distant memory after dropping five straight by a combined score of 21-4 and falling out of a playoff position. Dallas is in Edmonton tonight hoping to stop the bleeding.
We’ve written a few times about the potential for the Stars to be buyers at the trade deadline if they’re still in postseason contention. They’ve had the cap room for a while. Now they’ve got an owner that can do something with it.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)