Nov 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Tom Gaglardi told Dallas Stars fans what they wanted to hear today. The new owner was introduced to the media this afternoon and promised if the team needed to spend money, it would spend money.
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
Just don’t expect a wild spending spree, a la Terry Pegula. The Stars will be built the “old-fashioned way” – through drafting and developing players.
“I think there’s been enough cases around the NHL to know that you cannot buy a winner,” said Gaglardi. “So I believe in the old-fashioned way of building teams. We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships.”
The Stars’ early-season success seems a distant memory after dropping five straight by a combined score of 21-4 and falling out of a playoff position. Dallas is in Edmonton tonight hoping to stop the bleeding.
We’ve written a few times about the potential for the Stars to be buyers at the trade deadline if they’re still in postseason contention. They’ve had the cap room for a while. Now they’ve got an owner that can do something with it.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)