Nov 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Tom Gaglardi told Dallas Stars fans what they wanted to hear today. The new owner was introduced to the media this afternoon and promised if the team needed to spend money, it would spend money.
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
Just don’t expect a wild spending spree, a la Terry Pegula. The Stars will be built the “old-fashioned way” – through drafting and developing players.
“I think there’s been enough cases around the NHL to know that you cannot buy a winner,” said Gaglardi. “So I believe in the old-fashioned way of building teams. We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships.”
The Stars’ early-season success seems a distant memory after dropping five straight by a combined score of 21-4 and falling out of a playoff position. Dallas is in Edmonton tonight hoping to stop the bleeding.
We’ve written a few times about the potential for the Stars to be buyers at the trade deadline if they’re still in postseason contention. They’ve had the cap room for a while. Now they’ve got an owner that can do something with it.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)