Nov 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Tom Gaglardi told Dallas Stars fans what they wanted to hear today. The new owner was introduced to the media this afternoon and promised if the team needed to spend money, it would spend money.
“We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships,” Gaglardi said. “If Joe and his staff think that is something we can do in terms of stepping up and doing more in that regard, then we’re going to do it.”
Just don’t expect a wild spending spree, a la Terry Pegula. The Stars will be built the “old-fashioned way” – through drafting and developing players.
“I think there’s been enough cases around the NHL to know that you cannot buy a winner,” said Gaglardi. “So I believe in the old-fashioned way of building teams. We’re here to win. This isn’t about anything other than becoming a great team and pursuing championships.”
The Stars’ early-season success seems a distant memory after dropping five straight by a combined score of 21-4 and falling out of a playoff position. Dallas is in Edmonton tonight hoping to stop the bleeding.
We’ve written a few times about the potential for the Stars to be buyers at the trade deadline if they’re still in postseason contention. They’ve had the cap room for a while. Now they’ve got an owner that can do something with it.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)