Nov 21, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT
Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch is reporting another tough loss for the Blue Jackets — this time, from the practice rink.
Rick Nash nailed goaltender Steve Mason in the mask at with a shot this morning, sending the goaltender to his knees before trainers helped him off the ice. Mason was able to leave the skate under his own power, but won’t play tonight against Calgary. Head coach Scott Arniel confirmed that Curtis Sanford will start against the Flames while Allen York — the pride of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute — has been summoned from AHL Springfield to back him up.
“He’s not good,” Arniel said of Mason. “Yorkie’s on his way in here. (Mason’s) going to miss tonight and we’ll re-evaluate him tomorrow. He got hit pretty good there, hit pretty hard.”
At the risk of further beating a dead horse (*makes whip noise*), I’d once again like to point out what Columbus GM Scott Howson went into the season with in goal:
— Mason (who basically lost his starting gig last year)
— Sanford (who was in the AHL)
— York (who was playing college hockey)
— Mark Dekanich (formerly the No. 3 in Nashville)
So there was depth at the position — but outside of Mason, not a ton of experience at the NHL level. Sanford had over 100 games but had been out of the NHL since 2009.
Impeccable hindsight makes you wonder why a veteran presence like Ray Emery (who Chicago brought in on a tryout) or Marty Turco (still unemployed) wasn’t brought in to compete for a job.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 69
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (92)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (72)