Nov 21, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is asking readers about an incident from the Senators’ 2-1 overtime loss in Vancouver last night.
It’s being alleged that Burrows purposely opened the door — the hockey equivalent of pulling the chair out from under someone when they’re about to sit.
“I don’t like it,” Garrioch wrote. “I think Burrows should be suspended. He won’t be, but he should be.”
As Yerdon mentioned in the Morning Skate, Winchester wasn’t pleased with the incident.
“It’s not a safe play,” said Winchester. “I was under the impression my butt was against the wall, the next thing I know I’m through the bench. I couldn’t see behind me, I’m not paying attention to what’s on the bench.”
Burrows offered a slightly different take.
“It was a line change and at the last minute he got hit pretty good there and the door wasn’t closed completely,” he explained to the Vancouver Province. “He’s a Montreal guy and one of my friends so it’s a good thing he didn’t get hurt on the play.”
It’s tough to judge intent, but also tough to ignore Burrows’ and Lapierre’s less-than-pristine reputations. Lapierre’s long been considered one of hockey’s dirtiest players while Burrows is best known for feuding with officials and eating Patrice Bergeron‘s finger (this despite the fact he has more goals than Vincent Lecavalier over the last three years.)
They’re two of the big reasons why Vancouver is filed under “Hated, Most” in the NHL Teams Rolodex.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)