Nov 21, 2011, 3:09 PM EST
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun is asking readers about an incident from the Senators’ 2-1 overtime loss in Vancouver last night.
It’s being alleged that Burrows purposely opened the door — the hockey equivalent of pulling the chair out from under someone when they’re about to sit.
“I don’t like it,” Garrioch wrote. “I think Burrows should be suspended. He won’t be, but he should be.”
As Yerdon mentioned in the Morning Skate, Winchester wasn’t pleased with the incident.
“It’s not a safe play,” said Winchester. “I was under the impression my butt was against the wall, the next thing I know I’m through the bench. I couldn’t see behind me, I’m not paying attention to what’s on the bench.”
Burrows offered a slightly different take.
“It was a line change and at the last minute he got hit pretty good there and the door wasn’t closed completely,” he explained to the Vancouver Province. “He’s a Montreal guy and one of my friends so it’s a good thing he didn’t get hurt on the play.”
It’s tough to judge intent, but also tough to ignore Burrows’ and Lapierre’s less-than-pristine reputations. Lapierre’s long been considered one of hockey’s dirtiest players while Burrows is best known for feuding with officials and eating Patrice Bergeron‘s finger (this despite the fact he has more goals than Vincent Lecavalier over the last three years.)
They’re two of the big reasons why Vancouver is filed under “Hated, Most” in the NHL Teams Rolodex.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)