Nov 21, 2011, 3:11 PM EST
The column also served as a defense of coach Bruce Boudreau, who’s facing a barrage of criticism in the wake of his team’s three-game road trip that finished with three losses by a combined score of 14-3.
The truth is, only one person is emotionally missing from the Capitals’ locker room, and everyone inside that cocoon knows who it is. It’s the guy who looks like a shell of his former self, who hasn’t scored in four games and doesn’t even look interested in playing hockey right now. Until Alex Ovechkin finds himself, finds the electrifying player he once was and backpacks this team to the Stanley Cup finals, everyone’s employment with the organization is in jeopardy.
Nobody’s going to disagree that Ovechkin is the key to the Caps’ success. And if he’s just pouting because he’s not happy with Boudreau, then it doesn’t say much about Ovi’s leadership qualities.
That said, Boudreau shouldn’t get let off the hook. Coaches are responsible for motivating and getting the best out of their players, and Boudreau’s not getting that out of Ovechkin. Unless things turn around soon, firing the coach is going to fall under the category of “hey, it couldn’t hurt.”
Even now, what would be the downside of making a change? It turns out Boudreau wasn’t the problem? OK, so has anything really changed? Is Boudreau such a great coach that the Caps would sink even further without him?
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)