Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
For better or worse, the Columbus Blue Jackets stuck with the status quo despite a ridiculous amount of pressure to change. That hasn’t paid off much, but the team is showing some promise thanks to some expected players and a goalie who shouldn’t be a factor. Jeff Carter scored twice and Curtis Sanford allowed only one goal to give the Blue Jackets their first two-game winning streak since February 2010.
Carter now has three points in his last two games while Sanford earned both of those wins (and standings points in three straight starts, which is impressive for a team as unimpressive as Columbus). Better yet, the Blue Jackets are 3-1-1 in their last five, which is a nice enough streak that you can remove most of the “good for a team like Columbus … ” caveats.
And, hey, give Scott Howson credit for this much: Vinny Prospal is quietly one of the best free agent additions from the summer of 2011; he now has 18 points in 20 games.
This positive streak only places them at a league-worst 12 points, but this is generates sorely needed optimism. Check out the highlights below.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)