Nov 21, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
For better or worse, the Columbus Blue Jackets stuck with the status quo despite a ridiculous amount of pressure to change. That hasn’t paid off much, but the team is showing some promise thanks to some expected players and a goalie who shouldn’t be a factor. Jeff Carter scored twice and Curtis Sanford allowed only one goal to give the Blue Jackets their first two-game winning streak since February 2010.
Carter now has three points in his last two games while Sanford earned both of those wins (and standings points in three straight starts, which is impressive for a team as unimpressive as Columbus). Better yet, the Blue Jackets are 3-1-1 in their last five, which is a nice enough streak that you can remove most of the “good for a team like Columbus … ” caveats.
And, hey, give Scott Howson credit for this much: Vinny Prospal is quietly one of the best free agent additions from the summer of 2011; he now has 18 points in 20 games.
This positive streak only places them at a league-worst 12 points, but this is generates sorely needed optimism. Check out the highlights below.
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 0
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 21
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 15
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)