Nov 21, 2011, 7:52 PM EDT
The atmosphere has been crazy in Pittsburgh, but pundits cannot say that the mood is unprecedented. Mario Lemieux’s health issues and premature retirement created plenty of comeback opportunities to rival Sidney Crosby‘s, so it’s tough not to make comparisons. In fact, some might want to be literal about that.
To keep it simple, here’s what Super Mario did in his return from retirement on Dec. 27, 2000:
Lemieux: one goal and two assists for three points; +3 rating with five shots on goal in 20:46 minutes of ice time.
Crosby (through one period): one goal and one assist for two points; +2 rating with four shots on goal in 7:10 minutes of ice time.
No doubt about it, Crosby matches Lemieux’s sense of the moment. Just for fun, let’s take a look at how the two star center’s partners in crime fared out of the limelight.
Jaromir Jagr: two goals and two assists for four points; +4 rating, seven shots on goal in 22:11 minutes of ice time.
Evgeni Malkin: zero points, even plus/minus with zero shots on goal in 7:14 minutes of ice time.
Oh, and for what it’s worth: Marc-Andre Fleury needs 28 saves to match Garth Snow’s 40-save shutout.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination