Nov 21, 2011, 7:52 PM EDT
The atmosphere has been crazy in Pittsburgh, but pundits cannot say that the mood is unprecedented. Mario Lemieux’s health issues and premature retirement created plenty of comeback opportunities to rival Sidney Crosby‘s, so it’s tough not to make comparisons. In fact, some might want to be literal about that.
To keep it simple, here’s what Super Mario did in his return from retirement on Dec. 27, 2000:
Lemieux: one goal and two assists for three points; +3 rating with five shots on goal in 20:46 minutes of ice time.
Crosby (through one period): one goal and one assist for two points; +2 rating with four shots on goal in 7:10 minutes of ice time.
No doubt about it, Crosby matches Lemieux’s sense of the moment. Just for fun, let’s take a look at how the two star center’s partners in crime fared out of the limelight.
Jaromir Jagr: two goals and two assists for four points; +4 rating, seven shots on goal in 22:11 minutes of ice time.
Evgeni Malkin: zero points, even plus/minus with zero shots on goal in 7:14 minutes of ice time.
Oh, and for what it’s worth: Marc-Andre Fleury needs 28 saves to match Garth Snow’s 40-save shutout.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)