Nov 21, 2011, 7:52 PM EST
The atmosphere has been crazy in Pittsburgh, but pundits cannot say that the mood is unprecedented. Mario Lemieux’s health issues and premature retirement created plenty of comeback opportunities to rival Sidney Crosby‘s, so it’s tough not to make comparisons. In fact, some might want to be literal about that.
To keep it simple, here’s what Super Mario did in his return from retirement on Dec. 27, 2000:
Lemieux: one goal and two assists for three points; +3 rating with five shots on goal in 20:46 minutes of ice time.
Crosby (through one period): one goal and one assist for two points; +2 rating with four shots on goal in 7:10 minutes of ice time.
No doubt about it, Crosby matches Lemieux’s sense of the moment. Just for fun, let’s take a look at how the two star center’s partners in crime fared out of the limelight.
Jaromir Jagr: two goals and two assists for four points; +4 rating, seven shots on goal in 22:11 minutes of ice time.
Evgeni Malkin: zero points, even plus/minus with zero shots on goal in 7:14 minutes of ice time.
Oh, and for what it’s worth: Marc-Andre Fleury needs 28 saves to match Garth Snow’s 40-save shutout.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)