Nov 21, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT
There isn’t a more explosive team in the NHL right now than the Boston Bruins. After starting the season 3-7-0, the B’s have won eight in a row and find themselves right back in a playoff position.
Not only are the Stanley Cup champs winning, they’re blowing teams out of the rink. Boston has outscored its opponents by a 41-14 margin in the last eight games.
That’s an average score of 5.1 to 1.8.
“We were sick of losing so we did something about it,” said defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.
“We’re willing to do the things that you have to do to win hockey games and I didn’t feel that we were ready to do that in the first month of the season,” echoed coach Claude Julien.
That the B’s are hungry for wins in November after hoisting the Cup in June is commendable. The Blackhawks had an eight-game winning streak last season, but their post-championship malaise didn’t end until late February.
To be fair, Chicago had to adjust to a depleted roster; the Bruins are largely the same team, plus Tyler Seguin’s emerged as one of the league’s top scorers.
However, ‘Hawks Duncan Keith admitted he suffered from a lack of motivation once the summer of celebration was over.
“I’m not making any excuses but I didn’t feel excited coming back at the start the season,” Keith said during the first round of the playoffs.
“Once you get off to a bad start and you’re not happy with it, it’s tough to get out of. It can snowball in some ways. You think you’re getting out of it then it comes back and becomes a mental thing. It makes you appreciate having a good start.”
The Bruins are in Montreal tonight looking to make it nine in a row.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 54
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional