Nov 21, 2011, 4:20 PM EST
There isn’t a more explosive team in the NHL right now than the Boston Bruins. After starting the season 3-7-0, the B’s have won eight in a row and find themselves right back in a playoff position.
Not only are the Stanley Cup champs winning, they’re blowing teams out of the rink. Boston has outscored its opponents by a 41-14 margin in the last eight games.
That’s an average score of 5.1 to 1.8.
“We were sick of losing so we did something about it,” said defenseman Dennis Seidenberg.
“We’re willing to do the things that you have to do to win hockey games and I didn’t feel that we were ready to do that in the first month of the season,” echoed coach Claude Julien.
That the B’s are hungry for wins in November after hoisting the Cup in June is commendable. The Blackhawks had an eight-game winning streak last season, but their post-championship malaise didn’t end until late February.
To be fair, Chicago had to adjust to a depleted roster; the Bruins are largely the same team, plus Tyler Seguin’s emerged as one of the league’s top scorers.
However, ‘Hawks Duncan Keith admitted he suffered from a lack of motivation once the summer of celebration was over.
“I’m not making any excuses but I didn’t feel excited coming back at the start the season,” Keith said during the first round of the playoffs.
“Once you get off to a bad start and you’re not happy with it, it’s tough to get out of. It can snowball in some ways. You think you’re getting out of it then it comes back and becomes a mental thing. It makes you appreciate having a good start.”
The Bruins are in Montreal tonight looking to make it nine in a row.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 82
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)