Nov 21, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
On a normal NHL night, the Boston Bruins would be the talk of the town. They took a backseat to a certain hockey icon this Monday night – Versus swapped its coverage from their game against the Montreal Canadiens – but the Bruins did something almost as impressive as Sidney Crosby‘s comeback.
The B’s rolled into Montreal and managed to grind out a 1-0 victory, their ninth consecutive win. Amazingly, it took that much for them just to move into a tie with the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres for the Northeast Division lead at 24 points.
(Technically, Boston is in first place because they have a game in hand on Buffalo and two on Toronto, but it shows that the Bruins cannot rest on their laurels.)
Thomas wasn’t all that bad in the beginning of the season – scoring was a bigger problem than anything else – but he’s on fire again now. The Bruins netminder is on a two-game shutout streak and produced three goose eggs in six starts during that nine-game run.
The most impressive number is the Bruins’ goal differential, though; their +26 margin is far and away the best of any team in the NHL. (The Pittsburgh Penguins are behind them with +15.) It’s still a small sample, but that’s an indicator that they’re dominating again.
So, yes, the Bruins aren’t getting the headlines today, but the defending champions are rampaging through the league like a big, angry bear right now. They’re winning games by shutting teams down and blowing them out, which might help them steal the spotlight from glamor teams when the games matter the most … again.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal