Nov 21, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
When will there be justice for Alex Semin? The persecution of this poor man must stop.
At least that’s what Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau thinks.
According to Boudreau, Semin has become a victim of his reputation for taking penalties.
“Obviously the refs seem to have it out for him. There’s no doubt that there are penalties he deserves. We’re not disputing that,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “But I don’t think that diving penalty [at Toronto] was a diving penalty, I don’t think the penalty in Winnipeg when he knocked the stick out of the guy’s hand was a penalty. They definitely look at him; he’s got a reputation so it’s unfortunate for him but he’s earned the reputation.”
Semin’s 14 minor penalties are the second most in the NHL. Only Anaheim’s Corey Perry has more (15), and a few of those were coincidental.
Semin’s penalty breakdown is as follows:
—- Tripping, 4
—- Hooking, 4
—- Diving, 2
—- Unsportsmanlike conduct, 1
—- Interference, 1
—- High sticking, 1
—- Boarding, 2
Maybe Boudreau’s right and the officials are watching Semin closer than others, but as Boudreau admits, that’s what a player gets with a history of taking lazy penalties and diving. Ask the Vancouver Canucks about getting on the wrong side of the officials. Try to make the refs look bad by embellishing, suffer the consequences.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)