Nov 21, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
When will there be justice for Alex Semin? The persecution of this poor man must stop.
At least that’s what Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau thinks.
According to Boudreau, Semin has become a victim of his reputation for taking penalties.
“Obviously the refs seem to have it out for him. There’s no doubt that there are penalties he deserves. We’re not disputing that,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “But I don’t think that diving penalty [at Toronto] was a diving penalty, I don’t think the penalty in Winnipeg when he knocked the stick out of the guy’s hand was a penalty. They definitely look at him; he’s got a reputation so it’s unfortunate for him but he’s earned the reputation.”
Semin’s 14 minor penalties are the second most in the NHL. Only Anaheim’s Corey Perry has more (15), and a few of those were coincidental.
Semin’s penalty breakdown is as follows:
—- Tripping, 4
—- Hooking, 4
—- Diving, 2
—- Unsportsmanlike conduct, 1
—- Interference, 1
—- High sticking, 1
—- Boarding, 2
Maybe Boudreau’s right and the officials are watching Semin closer than others, but as Boudreau admits, that’s what a player gets with a history of taking lazy penalties and diving. Ask the Vancouver Canucks about getting on the wrong side of the officials. Try to make the refs look bad by embellishing, suffer the consequences.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (123)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)