Nov 21, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
When will there be justice for Alex Semin? The persecution of this poor man must stop.
At least that’s what Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau thinks.
According to Boudreau, Semin has become a victim of his reputation for taking penalties.
“Obviously the refs seem to have it out for him. There’s no doubt that there are penalties he deserves. We’re not disputing that,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “But I don’t think that diving penalty [at Toronto] was a diving penalty, I don’t think the penalty in Winnipeg when he knocked the stick out of the guy’s hand was a penalty. They definitely look at him; he’s got a reputation so it’s unfortunate for him but he’s earned the reputation.”
Semin’s 14 minor penalties are the second most in the NHL. Only Anaheim’s Corey Perry has more (15), and a few of those were coincidental.
Semin’s penalty breakdown is as follows:
—- Tripping, 4
—- Hooking, 4
—- Diving, 2
—- Unsportsmanlike conduct, 1
—- Interference, 1
—- High sticking, 1
—- Boarding, 2
Maybe Boudreau’s right and the officials are watching Semin closer than others, but as Boudreau admits, that’s what a player gets with a history of taking lazy penalties and diving. Ask the Vancouver Canucks about getting on the wrong side of the officials. Try to make the refs look bad by embellishing, suffer the consequences.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)