Nov 21, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
When will there be justice for Alex Semin? The persecution of this poor man must stop.
At least that’s what Washington Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau thinks.
According to Boudreau, Semin has become a victim of his reputation for taking penalties.
“Obviously the refs seem to have it out for him. There’s no doubt that there are penalties he deserves. We’re not disputing that,” Boudreau said, as per the Washington Post. “But I don’t think that diving penalty [at Toronto] was a diving penalty, I don’t think the penalty in Winnipeg when he knocked the stick out of the guy’s hand was a penalty. They definitely look at him; he’s got a reputation so it’s unfortunate for him but he’s earned the reputation.”
Semin’s 14 minor penalties are the second most in the NHL. Only Anaheim’s Corey Perry has more (15), and a few of those were coincidental.
Semin’s penalty breakdown is as follows:
—- Tripping, 4
—- Hooking, 4
—- Diving, 2
—- Unsportsmanlike conduct, 1
—- Interference, 1
—- High sticking, 1
—- Boarding, 2
Maybe Boudreau’s right and the officials are watching Semin closer than others, but as Boudreau admits, that’s what a player gets with a history of taking lazy penalties and diving. Ask the Vancouver Canucks about getting on the wrong side of the officials. Try to make the refs look bad by embellishing, suffer the consequences.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)