Nov 20, 2011, 1:26 AM EDT
I have a quick, informal poll for you. What’s more surprising: the fact that the Edmonton Oilers just beat the Chicago Blackhawks by a ridiculous score of 9-2 or that the Minnesota Wild are now slightly ahead* of the Blackhawks for the best record in the NHL?
Oilers burn Chicago
No doubt about it, both situations are stunning. Ray Emery was pulled from the game against the Oilers only to find himself back in after Corey Crawford also got shelled by Edmonton. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins compiled a ludicrous five assists while Taylor Hall avenged a questionable hit by Duncan Keith (stay tuned for video of that check from behind) by notching a hat trick. Overall, the Blackhawks were outscored 14-4 in their trip through Western Canada, with their other loss coming to the struggling Calgary Flames.
Minnesota’s stealth surge
Again, that’s bewildering stuff. But few would have predicted that the Wild would find themselves in first place overall more than a month into the season. Minnesota, which defeated St. Louis in a shootout, earned wins in nine of their last 11 games as Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding have been trading off victories.
They’re doing it with that aforementioned goaltending, timely scoring (they’ve only scored five goals once and four goals in one other game during that 11-game stretch) and an outstanding penalty kill that stopped 39 of 43 chances.
Yeo deserves praise
Quite a few coaches have received praise for greatly exceeding expectations in 2011-12 already, so let’s give rookie bench boss Mike Yeo some credit. He’s making it work so far in his first season with the big club, even if those efforts are going largely unnoticed by the mainstream. If Minnesota keeps it up, it won’t be easy for the Wild to slip under the radar much longer.
Forgive the Blackhawks if they feel a little more worried about themselves instead, though.
* Both teams have 27 points but Minnesota is 12-5-3 while Chicago is 12-6-3, so they get the “tie-breaker” at the moment.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Can they stay healthy?
Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”
Aug 27, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
At which time he’ll be reevaluated.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
The two have a bit of a history, as you may recall…
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s a benchmark he’s never hit before.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
The 21-year-old looks like he’ll be counted upon heavily.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT
For a border incident that occurred in mid-June.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
A first round exit has led to a busy summer.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Development coach Patrick Rissmiller is among New Jersey’s latest additions.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
His conditioning comes on the ice, not in the weight room.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Two terrible seasons didn’t dissuade fans expecting brighter days ahead.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT
Philadelphia has a great core, but does it have the depth?
Aug 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Tanking isn’t likely, yet may it be wise?
Aug 26, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
It would be wise to stick to Ron Hextall’s plan, but it’s not exactly Philly’s style.
Aug 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
With big raises come big expectations.
Aug 26, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Still not totally closing the door.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
He’s part of Philadelphia’s wave of impressive young defensemen.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
Can he impress in training camp?
Aug 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Craig Berube’s second season as a head coach didn’t go as planned.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)