Nov 20, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
After an offseason that brought hope that the future could be now on Long Island, the New York Islanders are proving once again to just be a miserable hockey team. Getting run off the ice by the Bruins can happen to many teams, but looking lost and listless in the process is another thing entirely.
Rick DiPietro was awful against Boston before getting pulled. Kyle Okposo spent yet another game in the press box. John Tavares‘ hot start to the season is proving to be just that. The Islanders are in need of a shakeup yet again just a year after getting one with Jack Capuano taking over for Scott Gordon.
Frustrating? You better believe it and Isles faithful are demanding that something happens to take care of it. Kevin Schultz of Islanders Point Blank says that there’s enough blame to pass around to everyone. From Garth Snow to Capuano to all of the players, it’s a mess where one single move might not be the right one to make to fix things.
The Isles are building things up from the ground up as it is and blowing things up now doesn’t amount to a whole lot of good. Problem here is that the veteran players brought in to compliment the youth just aren’t very good. Add that problem to a goaltending nightmare with DiPietro and injuries to Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya and, voila, awful results.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)