Nov 20, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
After an offseason that brought hope that the future could be now on Long Island, the New York Islanders are proving once again to just be a miserable hockey team. Getting run off the ice by the Bruins can happen to many teams, but looking lost and listless in the process is another thing entirely.
Rick DiPietro was awful against Boston before getting pulled. Kyle Okposo spent yet another game in the press box. John Tavares‘ hot start to the season is proving to be just that. The Islanders are in need of a shakeup yet again just a year after getting one with Jack Capuano taking over for Scott Gordon.
Frustrating? You better believe it and Isles faithful are demanding that something happens to take care of it. Kevin Schultz of Islanders Point Blank says that there’s enough blame to pass around to everyone. From Garth Snow to Capuano to all of the players, it’s a mess where one single move might not be the right one to make to fix things.
The Isles are building things up from the ground up as it is and blowing things up now doesn’t amount to a whole lot of good. Problem here is that the veteran players brought in to compliment the youth just aren’t very good. Add that problem to a goaltending nightmare with DiPietro and injuries to Evgeni Nabokov and Al Montoya and, voila, awful results.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)