Nov 20, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
What do the Vancouver Canucks have to say about Mark Recchi’s claims that they’re the most arrogant team he played against? Kevin Bieksa brings the zinger: “Mark Recchi can go take a nap.” Solid. (Vancouver Province.)
What did you do on the night of April 3, 2006? It’s OK, I don’t remember what I was doing either. The Columbus Blue Jackets won in Nashville that night and finally accomplished that feat again on Saturday. That’s a pretty stunning drought considering that they’re in the same division, eh? (Inside Smashville.)
Jack Capuano has no answers for why the Boston Bruins buzzed through the New York Islanders by a count of 6-0. Can I offer one? The Bruins are a lot better. (ESPN New York.)
Jose Theodore stars in: “The Stick that Saved a Goal Against Pittsburgh.”
Theo’s equipment might have been blessed at Nov. 19, but Dwayne Roloson didn’t have the same luck with his. Place this goal firmly in the “Oof” category.
Chuck Gormley indulges in our collective urge to read into Capitals GM George McPhee’s decision not to answer questions about a “vote of confidence” for Bruce Boudreau. (CSNWashington.com)
The Anaheim Ducks are trying just about every meeting imaginable to get out of their funk. The greater Anaheim area might run out of coffee cake if they keep slumping away. (OC Register.)
How do you describe a 9-2 loss on the heels of a 5-2 defeat? Joel Quenneville described it as such: “That was thoroughly embarrassing, humiliating across the board.” Yeah, that sounds about right. Some might raise a few questions about the Chicago Blackhawks’ little trip to Las Vegas after those two losses, too, though. (CSNChicago.com.)
Good news: the Dallas Stars have their new owner. Bad news: the San Jose Sharks owned them on Saturday, extending the Stars’ losing streak to five games. Potentially great news: the Stars are engaging in contract talks with Jamie Benn and Alex Goligoski. (Dallas Morning News.)
With 12 games and 24 NHL teams in action, there’s a chance you missed something great or at least memorable. Here’s a collection of the highlights from Nov. 19.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54