Nov 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
There’s no doubt that Alexander Semin is one of the most divisive talents in the league. He’s capable of scoring 40 goals a season and producing a ton of offense, but what he’s doing this season in Washington is making everyone crazy. He leads the team in penalties with 14 but has just nine points this year and he also leads the team in questionable effort.
With those kinds of issues lingering and Bruce Boudreau’s insistence on accountability this season, is it time for Alex Semin to take a seat in the press box? CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley discussed that with Boudreau only to get a coy reply from the coach.
“Infer what you want. If everybody’s healthy two guys have to sit. We have to figure out who it’s going to be.”
Not helping Semin’s cause was seeing him work on the fourth line in practice meaning he could wind up watching their game against Phoenix tomorrow night rather than playing it. Just like with everything else the Caps have been trying this year, other moves with Semin haven’t seen him respond to taking fewer penalties nor improve his scoring.
If there’s one message most players will listen to it’s getting your job taken away from you, even for a day and the Caps need Semin to get scoring and staying out of the box. Is now the time for that message? With things being as rough in Washington as they are now, now might be the best time for it.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)