Nov 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
There’s no doubt that Alexander Semin is one of the most divisive talents in the league. He’s capable of scoring 40 goals a season and producing a ton of offense, but what he’s doing this season in Washington is making everyone crazy. He leads the team in penalties with 14 but has just nine points this year and he also leads the team in questionable effort.
With those kinds of issues lingering and Bruce Boudreau’s insistence on accountability this season, is it time for Alex Semin to take a seat in the press box? CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley discussed that with Boudreau only to get a coy reply from the coach.
“Infer what you want. If everybody’s healthy two guys have to sit. We have to figure out who it’s going to be.”
Not helping Semin’s cause was seeing him work on the fourth line in practice meaning he could wind up watching their game against Phoenix tomorrow night rather than playing it. Just like with everything else the Caps have been trying this year, other moves with Semin haven’t seen him respond to taking fewer penalties nor improve his scoring.
If there’s one message most players will listen to it’s getting your job taken away from you, even for a day and the Caps need Semin to get scoring and staying out of the box. Is now the time for that message? With things being as rough in Washington as they are now, now might be the best time for it.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)