Nov 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
There’s no doubt that Alexander Semin is one of the most divisive talents in the league. He’s capable of scoring 40 goals a season and producing a ton of offense, but what he’s doing this season in Washington is making everyone crazy. He leads the team in penalties with 14 but has just nine points this year and he also leads the team in questionable effort.
With those kinds of issues lingering and Bruce Boudreau’s insistence on accountability this season, is it time for Alex Semin to take a seat in the press box? CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley discussed that with Boudreau only to get a coy reply from the coach.
“Infer what you want. If everybody’s healthy two guys have to sit. We have to figure out who it’s going to be.”
Not helping Semin’s cause was seeing him work on the fourth line in practice meaning he could wind up watching their game against Phoenix tomorrow night rather than playing it. Just like with everything else the Caps have been trying this year, other moves with Semin haven’t seen him respond to taking fewer penalties nor improve his scoring.
If there’s one message most players will listen to it’s getting your job taken away from you, even for a day and the Caps need Semin to get scoring and staying out of the box. Is now the time for that message? With things being as rough in Washington as they are now, now might be the best time for it.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)