Nov 20, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
There’s no doubt that Alexander Semin is one of the most divisive talents in the league. He’s capable of scoring 40 goals a season and producing a ton of offense, but what he’s doing this season in Washington is making everyone crazy. He leads the team in penalties with 14 but has just nine points this year and he also leads the team in questionable effort.
With those kinds of issues lingering and Bruce Boudreau’s insistence on accountability this season, is it time for Alex Semin to take a seat in the press box? CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley discussed that with Boudreau only to get a coy reply from the coach.
“Infer what you want. If everybody’s healthy two guys have to sit. We have to figure out who it’s going to be.”
Not helping Semin’s cause was seeing him work on the fourth line in practice meaning he could wind up watching their game against Phoenix tomorrow night rather than playing it. Just like with everything else the Caps have been trying this year, other moves with Semin haven’t seen him respond to taking fewer penalties nor improve his scoring.
If there’s one message most players will listen to it’s getting your job taken away from you, even for a day and the Caps need Semin to get scoring and staying out of the box. Is now the time for that message? With things being as rough in Washington as they are now, now might be the best time for it.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)