Nov 19, 2011, 9:13 PM EST
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports that the Philadelphia Flyers will retire Mark Howe’s No. 2 jersey when the team faces the Detroit Red Wings on March 6. This comes shortly after Flyers chairman Ed Snider essentially said that if Howe was good enough to make the Hockey Hall of Fame, then it only makes sense that his number should be retired.
Howe spent 10 seasons on the Flyers’ blueline, playing well enough that Panaccio deems him the “best two-way defenseman” in franchise history. Howe was nominated for the Norris Trophy times in his career, managing to make a name for himself despite the considerable shadow cast by his father Gordie.
If that report holds true, Howe will join Bernie Parent (No. 1), Barry Ashbee (4), Bill Barber (7) and Bobby Clarke (16) as the only Flyers who have received such an honor.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)