Nov 19, 2011, 2:19 PM EST
What’s the deal with Wayne Gretzky and MLSE? Has he been approached to join an ownership bid or not?
Wysh is wondering the same thing over at Puck Daddy, where he provides the following background:
In summary: Providence Equity Partner, a US-based financial firm, has been sniffing around the purchase of MLSE and the Toronto Maple Leafs. After initial backlash against dirty, stinkin’, no-good Americans buying the Leafs — all of Toronto was in a panic over having to explain what icing was to the new owners — news was leaked that the firm had reached out to Wayne Gretzky to be their ownership group window dressing.
The Great One has shot that down, and the original story has changed a bit.
Yesterday Gretzky told Fox Sports Tonight that he has “not talked to anyone who has the possibility of buying the Toronto Maple Leafs.”
Um, OK. But didn’t Sportsnet quote Gretzky on Thursday as saying he’s “been approached by multiple firms considering the purchase of MLSE”?
Oh wait, that quote’s been removed from the original Sportsnet story.
The Toronto Star’s Damien Cox has more on that. Cox called up Sportsnet reporter, John Shannon, about the little edit.
“Wayne may be backtracking, but I stand by my sources and the story,” Shannon told Cox. “I believe in them and what they told me.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)