Nov 19, 2011, 10:25 PM EST
To some, the Washington Capitals’ embarrassing 7-1 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs is a cause for panic or at least serious confusion. It’s almost as if the hockey world forgot about the dreadful losing streak that coincided with the taping of HBO’s 24/7 series in 2010-11, although the Capitals seem to be under a harsher spotlight with each passing season.
So the big question is: should GM George McPhee pull the trigger on some sort of “big decision” before the Capitals take on the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday? Let’s take a look at some ideas.
Fire the coach: Should they give bellicose Bruce Boudreau the boot? My answer is an emphatic “No.” For every decision that gets second-guessed, the team keeps winning the Southeast Division and his bold moves have worked out fairly well in the big picture. (Katie Carrera reports that McPhee said no comment when asked for a vote of confidence regarding Boudreau’s job security … take that whichever way you’d like.)
Plead with Mike Green to come back soon: For all the criticism that Green receives, the Capitals clearly miss him as an offensive catalyst. The team is now 2-7-1 with Green out of the lineup in 2011-12.
Lean on Neuvirth: Tomas Vokoun‘s production is a bit down compared to his high-end individual numbers, but Michal Neuvirth has a 3.46 GAA and .877 save percentage in seven games played this season. So another big “No.”
Make a trade: Now this is an interesting idea, but McPhee shouldn’t make a trade for the sake of shaking things up. The Capitals have a ton of guys in the last year of their deals including Green, Vokoun, Dennis Wideman, Mike Knuble and … Alexander Semin. If McPhee could somehow land a good second line center or fill another need, then maybe he should pull the trigger.
Overall, I think it pays to be patient. If a change is necessary, then I’d recommend a mid-level trade, though.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)