Nov 19, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
The New York Rangers came into Montreal with a seven-game winning streak but they likely left the ice with their heads hanging low. The Habs held the Blueshirts to just 17 shots on Saturday night as Carey Price notched an easy shutout and – wait for it – even Scott Gomez looked good. The much-maligned playmaker assisted on two of the Canadiens’ goals as they won 4-0.
There aren’t many excuses for the way the Rangers played on Nov. 19, but there’s one they might lean on a bit: Martin Biron was in net instead of Henrik Lundqvist. Sure, Biron won two of the seven games during that winning streak, but the team doesn’t have much more to hang their hats on following a tough evening.
Ultimately, it’s all about bouncing back because their immediate schedule is formidable. They face the surprisingly strong Florida Panthers and the sure-to-be-angry Washington Capitals to finish this current four-game road trip and then host the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins at home.
The Rangers don’t play the Panthers until Wednesday, so that should provide plenty of time for John Tortorella to scream at his squad until he loses his voice. The Rangers have some games in hand on their Atlantic Division foes, but the bottom line is that they can’t sit back on that hot streak if they want to stay in the mix for the top spot.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 0
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 60
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 61
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)