Nov 19, 2011, 9:57 PM EDT
The New York Rangers came into Montreal with a seven-game winning streak but they likely left the ice with their heads hanging low. The Habs held the Blueshirts to just 17 shots on Saturday night as Carey Price notched an easy shutout and – wait for it – even Scott Gomez looked good. The much-maligned playmaker assisted on two of the Canadiens’ goals as they won 4-0.
There aren’t many excuses for the way the Rangers played on Nov. 19, but there’s one they might lean on a bit: Martin Biron was in net instead of Henrik Lundqvist. Sure, Biron won two of the seven games during that winning streak, but the team doesn’t have much more to hang their hats on following a tough evening.
Ultimately, it’s all about bouncing back because their immediate schedule is formidable. They face the surprisingly strong Florida Panthers and the sure-to-be-angry Washington Capitals to finish this current four-game road trip and then host the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins at home.
The Rangers don’t play the Panthers until Wednesday, so that should provide plenty of time for John Tortorella to scream at his squad until he loses his voice. The Rangers have some games in hand on their Atlantic Division foes, but the bottom line is that they can’t sit back on that hot streak if they want to stay in the mix for the top spot.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)