Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau is oh-for-three in attempts to win his 200th regular-season NHL game behind the bench — a win that would break Don Cherry’s record for the fastest to reach the mark in league history.
Tonight in Toronto, with Grapes in the CBC studio, would be a good time to get it. Not to mention, Washington could use the victory.
Courtesy the Canadian Press:
Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk — Boudreau’s total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories — it’s still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL’s Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.
Boudreau and Cherry have another thing in common – neither own a Stanley Cup ring despite coaching dominant regular-season teams. Grapes twice led the B’s to the final, but fell both times, in 1977 and 1978, to the Habs.
The following season, this happened…
…and Grapes was done in Boston.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)