Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau is oh-for-three in attempts to win his 200th regular-season NHL game behind the bench — a win that would break Don Cherry’s record for the fastest to reach the mark in league history.
Tonight in Toronto, with Grapes in the CBC studio, would be a good time to get it. Not to mention, Washington could use the victory.
Courtesy the Canadian Press:
Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk — Boudreau’s total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories — it’s still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL’s Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.
Boudreau and Cherry have another thing in common – neither own a Stanley Cup ring despite coaching dominant regular-season teams. Grapes twice led the B’s to the final, but fell both times, in 1977 and 1978, to the Habs.
The following season, this happened…
…and Grapes was done in Boston.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)