Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau is oh-for-three in attempts to win his 200th regular-season NHL game behind the bench — a win that would break Don Cherry’s record for the fastest to reach the mark in league history.
Tonight in Toronto, with Grapes in the CBC studio, would be a good time to get it. Not to mention, Washington could use the victory.
Courtesy the Canadian Press:
Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk — Boudreau’s total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories — it’s still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL’s Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.
Boudreau and Cherry have another thing in common – neither own a Stanley Cup ring despite coaching dominant regular-season teams. Grapes twice led the B’s to the final, but fell both times, in 1977 and 1978, to the Habs.
The following season, this happened…
…and Grapes was done in Boston.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)