Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau is oh-for-three in attempts to win his 200th regular-season NHL game behind the bench — a win that would break Don Cherry’s record for the fastest to reach the mark in league history.
Tonight in Toronto, with Grapes in the CBC studio, would be a good time to get it. Not to mention, Washington could use the victory.
Courtesy the Canadian Press:
Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk — Boudreau’s total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories — it’s still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL’s Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.
Boudreau and Cherry have another thing in common – neither own a Stanley Cup ring despite coaching dominant regular-season teams. Grapes twice led the B’s to the final, but fell both times, in 1977 and 1978, to the Habs.
The following season, this happened…
…and Grapes was done in Boston.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)