Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau is oh-for-three in attempts to win his 200th regular-season NHL game behind the bench — a win that would break Don Cherry’s record for the fastest to reach the mark in league history.
Tonight in Toronto, with Grapes in the CBC studio, would be a good time to get it. Not to mention, Washington could use the victory.
Courtesy the Canadian Press:
Cherry reached the milestone in his 341st game and Boudreau will be coaching his 325th on Saturday. Even though the honour would come with an asterisk — Boudreau’s total includes 50 shootout and overtime victories — it’s still a remarkable achievement for a journeyman who got his start behind the bench as a player-assistant with the IHL’s Fort Wayne Komets in 1990.
Boudreau and Cherry have another thing in common – neither own a Stanley Cup ring despite coaching dominant regular-season teams. Grapes twice led the B’s to the final, but fell both times, in 1977 and 1978, to the Habs.
The following season, this happened…
…and Grapes was done in Boston.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)