Nov 19, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Leddy, drafted 16th overall in 2009, has since developed into a premier puck-moving defenseman, logging 21:42 a game for Chicago, where the 20-year-old currently leads all blue-liners in scoring with two goals and 12 assists.
Moreover, Leddy’s ascension allowed general manager Stan Bowman to trade Brian Campbell to Florida this summer, freeing up valuable cap space without losing much in the process.
After 20 games, the Blackhawks (12-5-3) sit first overall in the league with 27 points. And if that’s not sweet enough for their fans, the GM has a pile of money to spend if the opportunity should arise.
“We’re not in a rush to spend money,” Bowman said Friday, as reported by the Chicago Tribune. “It’s really a bit of an oddity for us. In the last couple of years … we’ve been playing things day-by-day — literally — in terms of sending guys down and shuttling them back and forth. In an ideal world you would like to try to keep your guys here and have room if you do have injuries or if you have an opportunity to improve your team. That’s how we’re going to approach it.
“We do have a lot more cap space than we’ve ever had. When the time is right, if that opportunity comes, we won’t be hesitant to move on it. Right now, we don’t have any things that we’re close to doing or looking at, but we’re always looking ahead about what might be there.”
To which the rest of the league replied, “Hey…awesome.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 47
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)