Nov 18, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
We’re not here to push the panic button for the Capitals, there’s enough fans of the team that are taking care of that already after the Caps’ uninspiring 4-1 loss to Winnipeg last night. For the third straight game, however, the Caps would score first in the game and then get outworked by a motivated opponent.
The Caps have dropped five of their last six and seven of their last ten. It’s a tough stretch that sees the Caps alternating between a team that can’t stop the puck from either going in their own net or putting it in their opponents net. Even owner Ted Leonsis is bemoaning their play of late saying that they’ve got a lot of work to do.
Alex Ovechkin isn’t scoring enough for some fans’ liking, Alex Semin isn’t consistent enough, Mike Green continues to be hurt and the team misses his presence, Michal Neuvirth and Tomas Vokoun aren’t looking as hot anymore, and Roman Hamrlik turned into a skating statue.
The Caps need more from everyone all around and they’re not going to get help from their own division. Tampa Bay and Florida are now looking like threats to the Caps in the Southeast and while Carolina and Winnipeg are struggling, the Jets showed last night that there’s nothing easy to be had.
The stress of success is showing a bit on the faces of the Caps. The joy looks to be missing in D.C. and while that might seem like some cheap narrative to tug the heartstrings, there’s something off about this team. Riding the highs and lows of the season shouldn’t be this hard.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 53
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 46
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)