Nov 18, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
We’re not here to push the panic button for the Capitals, there’s enough fans of the team that are taking care of that already after the Caps’ uninspiring 4-1 loss to Winnipeg last night. For the third straight game, however, the Caps would score first in the game and then get outworked by a motivated opponent.
The Caps have dropped five of their last six and seven of their last ten. It’s a tough stretch that sees the Caps alternating between a team that can’t stop the puck from either going in their own net or putting it in their opponents net. Even owner Ted Leonsis is bemoaning their play of late saying that they’ve got a lot of work to do.
Alex Ovechkin isn’t scoring enough for some fans’ liking, Alex Semin isn’t consistent enough, Mike Green continues to be hurt and the team misses his presence, Michal Neuvirth and Tomas Vokoun aren’t looking as hot anymore, and Roman Hamrlik turned into a skating statue.
The Caps need more from everyone all around and they’re not going to get help from their own division. Tampa Bay and Florida are now looking like threats to the Caps in the Southeast and while Carolina and Winnipeg are struggling, the Jets showed last night that there’s nothing easy to be had.
The stress of success is showing a bit on the faces of the Caps. The joy looks to be missing in D.C. and while that might seem like some cheap narrative to tug the heartstrings, there’s something off about this team. Riding the highs and lows of the season shouldn’t be this hard.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)