Nov 18, 2011, 6:25 PM EST
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Philadelphia at Winnipeg, 3pm ET
This much we know: Ilya Bryzgalov and Winnipeg got drama. Whether it’s Bryz dissing (and then apologizing to) Winnipeg or Winnipeg torching his Flyers for nine goals in the highest-scoring game of the year, crazy things happen when Bryz meets ‘Peg. Of course, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette could interrupt the narrative by flipping the script and starting Sergei Bobrovsky instead.
(Come to think of it, Sideshow Bob only has two starts in the last 22 days. Crap.)
Saturday: Detroit at Los Angeles, 4pm ET
The Red Wings haven’t won a road game in nearly a month — losing their last five away from the Joe — so they’ll obviously be looking to avoid No. 6, which would match their longest road losing streak since 1987.
Looking at the ’87 Detroit squad, it’s hard to fathom how they lost so many: Steve Yzerman had 102 points in 64 games, Bob Probert had 398 penalty minutes (not a typo — 398!) while Probert, Gerard Gallant, Petr Klima and Brent Ashton all scored 25 goals or more.
Oh wait, the defense. A top seven of Doug Halward, Darren Veitch, Rick Zombo, Jeff Sharples, Gilbert Delorme and Lee Norwood. Makes more sense now.
Saturday: Washington at Toronto, 7pm ET
Toronto could be without James Reimer, Mikhail Grabovski, Clarke MacArthur, Colby Armstrong, Matthew Lombardi and Mike Komisarek for this one. Not good heading into a game against a pissed-off-at-everything Caps team that’s lost five of six (3-6-1 over last 10.) On a related note, does anybody else think Bruce Boudreau and Alex Ovechkin look like they need couples therapy?
Saturday: New York at Montreal, 7pm ET
The last time these two met, this happened:
That skirmish led to 28 minutes in penalties and two game misconducts (to Petteri Nokelainen and Michael Sauer.) Considering that game was less than two weeks ago, the revenge factor is definitely in play.
Sunday: Ottawa at Vancouver, 9pm ET
The Senators’ season, in point form:
– Lost five of their first six.
– Won their next six straight.
– Lost their next five straight.
– Won their next three straight.
Ottawa is streakier than a glass door, which fits in nicely with the wildly inconsistent Canucks: Vancouver has neither won nor lost more than two games in a row this season.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)