Nov 18, 2011, 6:25 PM EDT
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Philadelphia at Winnipeg, 3pm ET
This much we know: Ilya Bryzgalov and Winnipeg got drama. Whether it’s Bryz dissing (and then apologizing to) Winnipeg or Winnipeg torching his Flyers for nine goals in the highest-scoring game of the year, crazy things happen when Bryz meets ‘Peg. Of course, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette could interrupt the narrative by flipping the script and starting Sergei Bobrovsky instead.
(Come to think of it, Sideshow Bob only has two starts in the last 22 days. Crap.)
Saturday: Detroit at Los Angeles, 4pm ET
The Red Wings haven’t won a road game in nearly a month — losing their last five away from the Joe — so they’ll obviously be looking to avoid No. 6, which would match their longest road losing streak since 1987.
Looking at the ’87 Detroit squad, it’s hard to fathom how they lost so many: Steve Yzerman had 102 points in 64 games, Bob Probert had 398 penalty minutes (not a typo — 398!) while Probert, Gerard Gallant, Petr Klima and Brent Ashton all scored 25 goals or more.
Oh wait, the defense. A top seven of Doug Halward, Darren Veitch, Rick Zombo, Jeff Sharples, Gilbert Delorme and Lee Norwood. Makes more sense now.
Saturday: Washington at Toronto, 7pm ET
Toronto could be without James Reimer, Mikhail Grabovski, Clarke MacArthur, Colby Armstrong, Matthew Lombardi and Mike Komisarek for this one. Not good heading into a game against a pissed-off-at-everything Caps team that’s lost five of six (3-6-1 over last 10.) On a related note, does anybody else think Bruce Boudreau and Alex Ovechkin look like they need couples therapy?
Saturday: New York at Montreal, 7pm ET
The last time these two met, this happened:
That skirmish led to 28 minutes in penalties and two game misconducts (to Petteri Nokelainen and Michael Sauer.) Considering that game was less than two weeks ago, the revenge factor is definitely in play.
Sunday: Ottawa at Vancouver, 9pm ET
The Senators’ season, in point form:
– Lost five of their first six.
– Won their next six straight.
– Lost their next five straight.
– Won their next three straight.
Ottawa is streakier than a glass door, which fits in nicely with the wildly inconsistent Canucks: Vancouver has neither won nor lost more than two games in a row this season.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)