Nov 18, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
Buffalo’s Tyler Myers is happy that he’s not yet another notch in the belt of Brendan Shanahan. Myers wasn’t suspended for his questionable hit on New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus and he’s got every reason to feel thankful for that.
Myers tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News about what it’s like to talk it over with Shanahan. If you’re curious about a peek behind the curtain for how things go when talking with Sheriff Shanny, Myers gives you a taste of what it’s like.
“He just wanted to discuss what my thoughts were on it,” Myers said after today”s pregame skate in the RBC Center. “I can really tell he’s trying to inform all the players, tell them what it a legal hit, what’s an illegal hit. It’s a thin line, pretty tough but it was a good conversation. There was contact with the head but there was contact with the body. If it had been a more lateral hit and just contact to the head, then there would have been a hearing and most likely a suspension.”
Consistency is the key for Shanahan when handling all these things and making sure everyone is on the same page is absolutely necessary. Devils fans will yell about no action being taken on Myers, but drawing the line between what is and isn’t good for the game and keeping it physical is part of the deal for Shanahan.
I’d like to think that the phone call with Shanahan just ended with him saying, “Now don’t do it again” and hanging up.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)