Nov 18, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Buffalo’s Tyler Myers is happy that he’s not yet another notch in the belt of Brendan Shanahan. Myers wasn’t suspended for his questionable hit on New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus and he’s got every reason to feel thankful for that.
Myers tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News about what it’s like to talk it over with Shanahan. If you’re curious about a peek behind the curtain for how things go when talking with Sheriff Shanny, Myers gives you a taste of what it’s like.
“He just wanted to discuss what my thoughts were on it,” Myers said after today”s pregame skate in the RBC Center. “I can really tell he’s trying to inform all the players, tell them what it a legal hit, what’s an illegal hit. It’s a thin line, pretty tough but it was a good conversation. There was contact with the head but there was contact with the body. If it had been a more lateral hit and just contact to the head, then there would have been a hearing and most likely a suspension.”
Consistency is the key for Shanahan when handling all these things and making sure everyone is on the same page is absolutely necessary. Devils fans will yell about no action being taken on Myers, but drawing the line between what is and isn’t good for the game and keeping it physical is part of the deal for Shanahan.
I’d like to think that the phone call with Shanahan just ended with him saying, “Now don’t do it again” and hanging up.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 18
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 17
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 26
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 19
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)