Nov 18, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Buffalo’s Tyler Myers is happy that he’s not yet another notch in the belt of Brendan Shanahan. Myers wasn’t suspended for his questionable hit on New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus and he’s got every reason to feel thankful for that.
Myers tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News about what it’s like to talk it over with Shanahan. If you’re curious about a peek behind the curtain for how things go when talking with Sheriff Shanny, Myers gives you a taste of what it’s like.
“He just wanted to discuss what my thoughts were on it,” Myers said after today”s pregame skate in the RBC Center. “I can really tell he’s trying to inform all the players, tell them what it a legal hit, what’s an illegal hit. It’s a thin line, pretty tough but it was a good conversation. There was contact with the head but there was contact with the body. If it had been a more lateral hit and just contact to the head, then there would have been a hearing and most likely a suspension.”
Consistency is the key for Shanahan when handling all these things and making sure everyone is on the same page is absolutely necessary. Devils fans will yell about no action being taken on Myers, but drawing the line between what is and isn’t good for the game and keeping it physical is part of the deal for Shanahan.
I’d like to think that the phone call with Shanahan just ended with him saying, “Now don’t do it again” and hanging up.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (82)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)