Nov 18, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
Buffalo’s Tyler Myers is happy that he’s not yet another notch in the belt of Brendan Shanahan. Myers wasn’t suspended for his questionable hit on New Jersey’s Dainius Zubrus and he’s got every reason to feel thankful for that.
Myers tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News about what it’s like to talk it over with Shanahan. If you’re curious about a peek behind the curtain for how things go when talking with Sheriff Shanny, Myers gives you a taste of what it’s like.
“He just wanted to discuss what my thoughts were on it,” Myers said after today”s pregame skate in the RBC Center. “I can really tell he’s trying to inform all the players, tell them what it a legal hit, what’s an illegal hit. It’s a thin line, pretty tough but it was a good conversation. There was contact with the head but there was contact with the body. If it had been a more lateral hit and just contact to the head, then there would have been a hearing and most likely a suspension.”
Consistency is the key for Shanahan when handling all these things and making sure everyone is on the same page is absolutely necessary. Devils fans will yell about no action being taken on Myers, but drawing the line between what is and isn’t good for the game and keeping it physical is part of the deal for Shanahan.
I’d like to think that the phone call with Shanahan just ended with him saying, “Now don’t do it again” and hanging up.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)