Nov 18, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT
How good is it to be Joe Nieuwendyk today? His team has surprised most people around the league with their quick start and is tied for the second most wins in the NHL. His new coach has the team looking good and the offseason acquisitions have thrived with the Stars. Oh, and there’s that Hall of Fame ring he has to shine every morning.
With news of a new owner in Dallas today, now Joe Nieuwendyk should have the assets to make his job easier as well. If he was able to put together a competitive team on a shoestring budget, what will he be able to do now that he has the resources to help the team succeed?
But for those who expect Nieuwendyk and the Stars to start spending like a 16-year-old with their very first paycheck, you may be in for a surprise. It sounds like the GM will continue to exercise patience.
“I like our roster and I think we need to let it be for a bit,” Nieuwendyk told Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News. “I don’t foresee any immediate moves that are necessary. But, in the long term, having an owner and possibly a higher budget could open the door for opportunities that we’re not able to study right now. It also will probably change the way other teams look at us, and maybe they will be more open to picking up the phone and making a call.”
Yeah, getting other GMs to answer the phone sounds like a good first step towards actually making a deal. For anyone interested in the Stars future, you should check out Heika’s article. The Stars are going to continue to preach patience—and winning will go a long way towards getting the fans to jump onboard with the plan.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)