Nov 18, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
It might be time to start bubble-wrapping the Maple Leafs when they take the ice. Last night’s disappointing loss to Nashville saw two more Leafs players head off with injuries in Matt Lombardi and Mike Komisarek. Komisarek had been playing great hockey this season while Lombardi was part of the feel-good story of the year bouncing back from his concussion last season.
When you total it all up that makes six Leafs starters that are out with an assortment of ailments. James Reimer, Colby Armstrong, Mikhail Grabovski, and Clarke MacArthur are all already out for varying amounts of time and now if Komisarek and Lombardi are thrown into the mix, the Leafs’ hot start to the season turns into a season-saving stretch.
With their latest injuries, it’s likely that Joe Colborne and Keith Aulie get the call to help save the ship for the time being. Colborne’s played well in the AHL but he too is coming back from an injury. It just never ends.
Glorious promise turning into crushing sadness should be nothing new in Toronto by now, but there’s only so much Phil Kessel and Ben Scrivens can do to keep things rolling in Toronto. Brian Burke won’t panic to fill holes here, but Leafs fans will just have to buckle up and hope that things don’t get out of hand while everyone works their way back to health.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)