Nov 18, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
It might be time to start bubble-wrapping the Maple Leafs when they take the ice. Last night’s disappointing loss to Nashville saw two more Leafs players head off with injuries in Matt Lombardi and Mike Komisarek. Komisarek had been playing great hockey this season while Lombardi was part of the feel-good story of the year bouncing back from his concussion last season.
When you total it all up that makes six Leafs starters that are out with an assortment of ailments. James Reimer, Colby Armstrong, Mikhail Grabovski, and Clarke MacArthur are all already out for varying amounts of time and now if Komisarek and Lombardi are thrown into the mix, the Leafs’ hot start to the season turns into a season-saving stretch.
With their latest injuries, it’s likely that Joe Colborne and Keith Aulie get the call to help save the ship for the time being. Colborne’s played well in the AHL but he too is coming back from an injury. It just never ends.
Glorious promise turning into crushing sadness should be nothing new in Toronto by now, but there’s only so much Phil Kessel and Ben Scrivens can do to keep things rolling in Toronto. Brian Burke won’t panic to fill holes here, but Leafs fans will just have to buckle up and hope that things don’t get out of hand while everyone works their way back to health.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 12
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 21
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (94)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)