Nov 18, 2011, 10:39 AM EST
It might be time to start bubble-wrapping the Maple Leafs when they take the ice. Last night’s disappointing loss to Nashville saw two more Leafs players head off with injuries in Matt Lombardi and Mike Komisarek. Komisarek had been playing great hockey this season while Lombardi was part of the feel-good story of the year bouncing back from his concussion last season.
When you total it all up that makes six Leafs starters that are out with an assortment of ailments. James Reimer, Colby Armstrong, Mikhail Grabovski, and Clarke MacArthur are all already out for varying amounts of time and now if Komisarek and Lombardi are thrown into the mix, the Leafs’ hot start to the season turns into a season-saving stretch.
With their latest injuries, it’s likely that Joe Colborne and Keith Aulie get the call to help save the ship for the time being. Colborne’s played well in the AHL but he too is coming back from an injury. It just never ends.
Glorious promise turning into crushing sadness should be nothing new in Toronto by now, but there’s only so much Phil Kessel and Ben Scrivens can do to keep things rolling in Toronto. Brian Burke won’t panic to fill holes here, but Leafs fans will just have to buckle up and hope that things don’t get out of hand while everyone works their way back to health.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)