Nov 18, 2011, 10:39 AM EDT
It might be time to start bubble-wrapping the Maple Leafs when they take the ice. Last night’s disappointing loss to Nashville saw two more Leafs players head off with injuries in Matt Lombardi and Mike Komisarek. Komisarek had been playing great hockey this season while Lombardi was part of the feel-good story of the year bouncing back from his concussion last season.
When you total it all up that makes six Leafs starters that are out with an assortment of ailments. James Reimer, Colby Armstrong, Mikhail Grabovski, and Clarke MacArthur are all already out for varying amounts of time and now if Komisarek and Lombardi are thrown into the mix, the Leafs’ hot start to the season turns into a season-saving stretch.
With their latest injuries, it’s likely that Joe Colborne and Keith Aulie get the call to help save the ship for the time being. Colborne’s played well in the AHL but he too is coming back from an injury. It just never ends.
Glorious promise turning into crushing sadness should be nothing new in Toronto by now, but there’s only so much Phil Kessel and Ben Scrivens can do to keep things rolling in Toronto. Brian Burke won’t panic to fill holes here, but Leafs fans will just have to buckle up and hope that things don’t get out of hand while everyone works their way back to health.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)