Nov 18, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
You’re going to find out a lot about the Carolina Hurricanes tonight. They’re at home against Buffalo and for all intents and purposes it could be Paul Maurice’s final game behind the bench for the Hurricanes.
The team is mired in a funk so bad that it’s got GM Jim Rutherford talking about shaking things up one way or another soon and with how lifeless the Hurricanes looked against Montreal the other night, signs are pointing toward Maurice as being the source of their problems. They’ve lost six of their last seven and are in last place in the Southeast Division just a year after falling just short of making the playoffs.
For Maurice, News & Observer columnist Luke DeCock says that things are different than the last time he was run out of town in Carolina for losing ways. This time around, fan apathy could be sending the message that things need to change now. As for other fans, they’re already taking the temperature to see who they might want to see take his spot. The choices aren’t overly flattering.
If the Hurricanes do want to rally behind Maurice, putting the boots to Buffalo tonight will help send that message. If they have checked out on the coach, however, seeing the Sabres roll on them in front of their home fans would be the final straw.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)