Nov 18, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
Today, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov once again stole a media scrum, this time by trying make amends with the city of Winnipeg.
With the Flyers set to face the Jets Saturday at the MTS Center, Bryz apologized for saying The Peg was cold and lacked parks, Russian people and family entertainment during his time as a Phoenix Coyote.
“You know, let’s make this straight once and for and all,” Bryzgalov told Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press. “We were losing, I was disappointed, first of all. And second of all I didn’t want to move anywhere.
“I’m pretty sure good people, beautiful people, live in Winnipeg. I’m pretty sure there are passionate fans. I didn’t mean it and I didn’t want to offend anybody. Sincerely, I apologize if I offended anybody and fans in Canada and Winnipeg. I didn’t mean it.”
Wonder if this apology is Bryz trying to fix his karma. The last time Winnipeg and Philadelphia met, he surrendered four goals on 10 shots in a wild 9-8 loss, leading to his infamous “I’m lost in the woods right now” soundbyte.
That said, Bryz has been pretty complimentary of late. He was gushing about the Phoenix Coyotes prior to last night’s 2-1 win and even after learning Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin took shots at him, he was still upbeat:
“I didn’t hear what they said first of all. Second of all, I don’t know how to say this, you can’t be nice to the whole world; some people hate you, some people like you, some people love, some people it’s just normal. It’s just life. I hope they continue to play well.”
Never change, Bryz. Never change.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)