Nov 18, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
Today, Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov once again stole a media scrum, this time by trying make amends with the city of Winnipeg.
With the Flyers set to face the Jets Saturday at the MTS Center, Bryz apologized for saying The Peg was cold and lacked parks, Russian people and family entertainment during his time as a Phoenix Coyote.
“You know, let’s make this straight once and for and all,” Bryzgalov told Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press. “We were losing, I was disappointed, first of all. And second of all I didn’t want to move anywhere.
“I’m pretty sure good people, beautiful people, live in Winnipeg. I’m pretty sure there are passionate fans. I didn’t mean it and I didn’t want to offend anybody. Sincerely, I apologize if I offended anybody and fans in Canada and Winnipeg. I didn’t mean it.”
Wonder if this apology is Bryz trying to fix his karma. The last time Winnipeg and Philadelphia met, he surrendered four goals on 10 shots in a wild 9-8 loss, leading to his infamous “I’m lost in the woods right now” soundbyte.
That said, Bryz has been pretty complimentary of late. He was gushing about the Phoenix Coyotes prior to last night’s 2-1 win and even after learning Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin took shots at him, he was still upbeat:
“I didn’t hear what they said first of all. Second of all, I don’t know how to say this, you can’t be nice to the whole world; some people hate you, some people like you, some people love, some people it’s just normal. It’s just life. I hope they continue to play well.”
Never change, Bryz. Never change.
- Barn burner: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 0
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 1
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)